Thousand Years - Arthur x Reader

I think this may be the sweetest thing I have ever written 😊 I am the biggest hopeless romantic you could ever find, and couldn't resist writing this. I include the lyrics from the song "Thousand Years" by Christina Perri. It's a little shorter than my usual imagines, but I hope you enjoy.

Arthur stood in the registry office, nervously running his finger round the inside of his collar, the marriage celebrant smiling at him as he, Arthur and Gary waited for the doors to open to reveal the woman that was to be his wife.

Arthur couldn't believe that his dreams were finally coming true; after everything life had thrown at him, all the setbacks, all the trials and tribulations of his life, he had finally found a woman that had made his life worth living, a woman that could see past everything, past things that scared and confused others, past all the harm that had been done to him, to the man that wanted nothing more than to be loved, and give love.

From the moment he had set eyes on (Y/n), Arthur could swear that he had seen fireworks, the beautiful colours exploding in a dazzling display that instantly lit up his dark world, his life no longer dark and grey, but a kaleidoscope of the most glorious hues.

They had been friends to begin with, a simple sweet friendship that had in itself been more than anything that Arthur could have hoped for; but fate can sometimes have other plans, or maybe some great god was looking down on him, but whatever it was, Arthur knew not to question it, and as his body had intertwined with (Y/n)'s in a lover's embrace that very first time, the two gasping for air and drenched with sweat as they looked into each other's eyes, Arthur knew that he would never want another woman in his life, that (Y/n) was his everything.

(Y/n) had given him a life that he could have only ever wished for, stability that he had never know, happiness that he thought was only meant for others; but most importantly, love that he wasn't sure could really exist apart from on the silver screen.

"Hey. You ok?" Gary asked from his side, pulling on his friends' sleeve as he brought Arthur back from his thoughts.

"Yes. Do you have the rings?" Arthur said nervously, as Gary chuckled at the question that Arthur had already asked him a hundred times.

"Yes Arthur, they are still in my pocket." Gary told him, reassuringly tapping the pocket that contained the two simple golden bands.

Suddenly the two large doors opened to reveal the woman Arthur had been waiting to see, the breath hitching in his throat as he looked at the vision of beauty before him. As always, (Y/n) looked breathtaking, the dress she wore was simple and understated, pale and perfect; her hair was hidden by a simple arrangement of flowers that accentuated the glorious colour of her eyes, and as she took the first step through the doors, Arthur's world stood still, and his mind filled with music; he thought that the day she had said yes to his proposal was the greatest day of his life, but now he knew that nothing would ever take the memory of this moment away from his mind.

Heart beats fast

Colors and promises

How to be brave

How can I love when I'm afraid to fall

But watching you stand alone

All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow.

Arthur felt himself smile, as her every step towards him seemed to be in slow motion, every step graceful, and every step a step closer to a new life.

I have died everyday, waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more.

He could feel his heart pound violently in his chest as (Y/n) smiled at him with such love, her whole body appearing to glow as she moved ever closer. Arthur couldn't help but pinch himself, surely this couldn't be real, he wasn't this lucky, nothing in his life had ever work out before, so why should this be any different; but as he watched the small drop of blood ooze from the pinch mark, and then back at (Y/n) who was still there, he finally believed that this was all true.

Time stands still

Beauty in all she is

I will be brave

I will not let anything, take away

What's standing in front of me

Every breath, every hour has come to this.

"She looks beautiful, Arthur. You're a very lucky man to have a girl like that." Gary whispered, smiling himself as (Y/n) took one step closer.

Arthur looked down at his little friend, the first and only person he had thought of when (Y/n) had told him that he might need a best man, a sense of pride filling his body as he realised that Gary was right, he was lucky, and (Y/n) was his girl.

I have died everyday, waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed, I would find you

Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more.

Straightening himself as (Y/n) drew one step closer, Arthur brushed his hair back over his head, desperately gulping down the large lump that had formed in his throat; he had to make sure that everything was right, he had to make sure that he spoke every word of his vows without stuttering or stammering, he had sworn to himself that he would make this the truly special day that it was meant to be, for after all, he knew that it would be the only wedding he would ever have.

One step closer

One step closer

"Hello handsome, fancy meeting you here." (Y/n) said with a small chuckle as she took the final step to his side, the two smiling broadly as one another as the celebrant opened his book.

"Ready to be Misses Fleck forever?" Arthur asked nervously, as he took her hands in his.

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life, my love." (Y/n) replied quietly, as she and Arthur turned to look at the celebrant who had begun to read the marriage ceremony.

I have died everyday, waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed, I would find you

Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more.

As the two spoke their vows, promising to love and honour till death do they part, Arthur knew that most things were fleeting, but this love, their love, would last for a thousand years.