The Silent Doctor - Part 4

"Well Arthur, how are you feeling today?" (Y/n) asked, as she looked through his file. It had been months since she had changed his medications and she had seen him every day for at least the last few weeks; she had already noticed the changes in the man that sat in front of her, his appetite had increased and he had put a little weight on, and there was a new feeling about his presence, he was still Joker, there was no changing that, but there seemed to be a new calmness about him.

"Wonderful (Y/n), thank you; but I always feel better when I see you." Arthur said, chuckling softly as he pulled a cigarette from the packet and lit it, taking in the smoke deep into his lungs; as the time had passed, Arthur had learned to trust his silent doctor, refusing to speak to anyone other than her, and what once had been mere intrigue on his part, had changed into a friendship, and as far as Arthur was concerned, it was now slowly developing to become something far more intimate.

"The change in the medication seems to be doing you wonders, now if I could just get you to give those things up, you would probably be the healthiest that you have ever been." (Y/n) said, indicating to the noxious stick between his lips.

"Come on (Y/n), every man has to have a vice; some have drink, some have women, others have gambling; and smoking just happens to be mine." Arthur replied, taking another deep draw of the cigarette.

"Let's face it, it's the only vice they let me have; not much booze, gambling or women round here, not unless you count the beautiful doctor in front of me, that is." Arthur told her cockily, leaning across the table to get ever closer to the silent doctor.

"I see my adjustment to your medication has done little to change that Joker charm of yours, not as though I would want it to anyway." (Y/n) said, smiling as she placed his file back on the table.

"So, you think I'm charming?" Arthur asked, grinning as the usually calm doctor began to blush a little.

"Lets just put it this way, there is certainly something about you that could win over a fair maid's heart." (Y/n) told him, shaking her head in amusement as Arthur placed his elbows on the table and his chin in his hands, looking at (Y/n) like he was a cheeky little schoolboy.

"Fair maids are one thing, what about fair doctors?" Arthur enquired, his smile growing even wider, as (Y/n) moved her face so that it was just in front of his.

"Well Arthur, every woman has to have a vice; some have drink, some have men, others have gambling; you just happen to be mine." (Y/n) told him, leaning forward and kissing the slightly shocked Arthur on the end of the nose.

"What about handsome, do you think I'm handsome?" Arthur asked cheekily, as (Y/n) brushed a few stray strands of his wavy brown hair behind his ear.

"Do you really require me to stroke your ego?" (Y/n) said, laughing as Arthur nodded his head frantically.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it can come from even the worst situations; poppies grow on the fields of battle, new life sprouts from devastating fires, and greater people can grow from the ashes of a burnt city. You are the poppy, the sprout, the greater person that you should have always been, the beauty from the ashes of the old city, a beauty that will blossom to become something more than anyone could imagine. But you were always beautiful Arthur, you just couldn't see that before." (Y/n) told him, as she leaned back in her chair.

"Now, can we get back to talking about how you feel, rather than about how you look?" (Y/n) asked, chuckling as Arthur leaned back, pouting now that his fun had been spoilt with the mundane and boring routine of talking about his mind.

"Do you think I'm evil, (Y/n)?" Arthur suddenly asked, as (Y/n) looked up from her paperwork, slightly concerned at his out of the blue question.

"Evil is a very emotive word, Arthur. I will say that I think what you did was wrong, even though I can sort of appreciate that you had a reason in your own mind; but what you are is not born, what you are was created. Created by loneliness, by fear, by pain, abuse and lies, by unrequited love, and unfulfilled dreams. You were created by confusion, an uncaring society, but most of all by the loss of hope, when you lost hope you lost yourself, though in turn you found the real you. But to answer your question, no, I don't think that you are evil at all." (Y/n) said, reaching her hand across the table, and taking his.

"Then what am I?" Arthur asked, squeezing her hand tightly, as a strange look of concern settled on his face. His change in medication had allowed him to see things more clearly, his mind not fogged with delusions, or illusions; he still didn't regret what he had done, he still believed that all of his victims deserved what they had got, but now he wanted to know how had become what he had become, the man he now was, the man that was no longer the mild mannered Arthur, but Joker.

"Misunderstood, Arthur. You are misunderstood. I don't think its what you could ever describe as a medical diagnosis in any way shape or form, but that is what I think. You will never be your old self again, the new you would never allow that, Joker is far to dominant; you just have to accept that you are what you are, and you did what you did, and from now on you will always have me with you to help you along your new path." (Y/n) told him, Arthur's head flying up as he heard the news.

"Your staying? I thought that the hospital was going to send you away once I was stable, you said that you only had a short time left." Arthur nearly shouted out, the excitement at the thought of his silent doctor being able to remain with him, taking over completely.

"Well lets just put it this way Arthur, you don't know as much about psychology as I do, without learning to use it to your advantage, and lets just say that your diagnosis on paper, isn't as good as it is in real life. You aren't the only one with a certain amount of charm around here; so Arkham has seen fit to offer me a more permanent position, with instructions to ensure that their most high profile inmate remains as stable as he possibly can, and if that means I have to see him every day for several hours at a time, for the rest of his stay, then that is what I will have to do." (Y/n) told him, smiling as Arthur sprang up from the table, spinning round like a top, his arms flung out to his sides before stopping and kneeling on the floor next to (Y/n).

"You would do that for me?" Arthur asked, taking her hand in his.

"As I said, Arthur; every woman has her vice, and you just happen to be mine. So as long as you want me here, here I shall remain." (Y/n) replied, as she looked into his eyes, the Joker glint more obvious than ever.

With a smile, Arthur stood and made his way back towards his chair, taking a seat as he pulled out a cigarette and lit it, never taking his eyes from the woman that had just opened her little notebook and begun to draw a new picture of him. "Then my dear silent doctor, it looks like the both of us might just be here for some time." 

----------------------------------------------------- THE END --------------------------------------------------------