Alone - Part 1 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur stared blankly out onto the damp, early evening streets. The world outside already strangely quiet. As if all souls had already settled into their homes for the night. But the sight just made him feel more alone than usual. Arthur unable to think why he always felt as if he were the only one in the world. For even if he were surrounded by a hundred, a thousand people, Arthur was always sure that he would feel as alone.

Maybe it was him. His reserved, nervous nature. His awkwardness. His laugh. Or perhaps it was everyone else. An uncaring, unfeeling society. A society that focused too much on wealth and looks, to care about what really mattered. The heart of a person.

It wasn't just that he felt alone in a cold world. He also felt lonely. Not just a normal lonely, but a heartbreaking, gut wrenching, soul sapping loneliness, that most of the time he was sure that only he felt.

He had tried his best with girls, with women. But he would get tongued tied, embarrassed, and then the laugh would start, and the poor woman would turn and run. Either that, or he would find himself too afraid of rejection. Too afraid to be scoffed at. Too afraid that he would be told that he wasn't good enough, to even try. Yet that didn't mean that he hadn't always hoped. That he still didn't hope that there was someone out there, in the vast nameless, faceless metropolis that was meant just for him. Even more, that that person might be (Y/n).

Arthur was sure that (Y/n) was as reclusive as he was. That she spent as much time alone in her apartment, as he did. That she too would spend her nights in front of the TV, as the world, and life, passed her by. (Y/n) only leaving her little home so that she could go to work. And that was where he had met her for the first time.

He hadn't known that the new girl behind the counter at the pharmacy where he would go for his medication, was also the new girl down the hall. Well, he hadn't until he had finally summoned up the courage to get his latest script filled. Until he had summoned the courage to try and talk to the beautiful creature, that now graced the counter.

Arthur was sure that he had never seen anything as beautiful as the bright eyed, sweetly smiling vision that had looked at him from the other side of the countertop. His voice breaking and stuttering as he asked for his medication. He was sure that she must be from another world. That somehow, he had slipped between plains, and this was a parallel universe where women like this only existed. A place where it was bright and happy. Arthur finding himself never wanting to leave the shop, just in case the door was the portal, and as soon as he stepped through it, he would be back in his own world. Back on the dark, lonely streets. His only place to go, home. His only thing to think about, being alone.

She had smiled broadly when she had handed him his little bag. Told him that she had seen his address, that she had just moved in down the hall. And that if he needed it, she would be happy to bring his medication with her, when she came home. From that moment, the simple clown had been lost. In a few moments she had been nicer to him than anyone else had ever been, in his entire life. She had been kinder than he thought anyone could possibly be. Especially in Gotham. And since that first moment in the pharmacy, Arthur knew that he was in love. Like a bolt of lightening had come down from the heavens and struck him. Or perhaps Cupid had finally shot his arrow into Arthur's heart. But whatever had happened, Arthur was glad it had.

True to her word, if Arthur had ever needed anything from the pharmacy, and couldn't get there, (Y/n) would bring it back with her. Delivering the medication with a soft smile and a kind word. The highlight of his day coming whenever he could talk (Y/n) into staying for tea. Yet when she couldn't stay. When he watched her leave the building, he was sure that the loneliness was worse than it had ever been.

Suddenly he saw a familiar sight. His heart beginning to pound in his chest as he watched (Y/n) coming up to the old apartment building. Her thick coat wrapped around her, protecting her from the usual inclement weather. Arthur finding his spirits lifted as she stopped on the street just outside, reaching around in her bag, probably for her keys. Hopefully, tonight she would be able to stay for a while. Hopefully, tonight he would be able to forget for a little while that he was alone.

>>---------------------------------<<

She rummaged around in her bag. She knew her keys were in there somewhere; the thing was to find them. (Y/n) scalding herself for once again not putting them in the zipped pocket, like she always told herself to do.

With a heavy sigh, she gave up for a moment. She had to face facts that when she did find her keys, it would just mean that she would have to go to her apartment. That she would have to be alone. (Y/n) sure that the only reason that she didn't completely dread the prospect of entering the building, was that tonight she had Arthur's medication. That she would be able to go to his apartment, and he would ask her if she wanted to stay for tea. That she would be able to sit with him as he told her all about his day. His sweet, innocent, soft smile, making her heart flutter.

She had never known loneliness like this was possible. That a move to the big city could make it feel as though she was alone in a great, uncaring universe. Some time ago, she had lost someone dear. Someone that she loved. And his loss had devastated her more than she could ever have imagined. (Y/n) never believing that she would find anyone again. Yet, she had found one glimmer of hope. One beacon of light. One person that was able to chase away the demons that still haunted her, when she was in her apartment. And that was her favourite clown.

(Y/n) had wanted to tell Arthur how she felt for some time. Each time that she was able to go to his apartment, in fact. But every time that she tried to say something, a little voice in the back of her mind would mock her. Tell her that she wasn't good enough for such a wonderful man. That she would be alone for the rest of her life, shut in her apartment, with nothing for company but the TV. That no one would ever love her again. But maybe tonight would be different. Maybe tonight she could summon up the courage to tell Arthur how she felt. Maybe tonight she wouldn't be alone.