Love in the time of Quarantine - Arthur x Reader

To all you lovely readers, please all look after yourselves, stay inside and stay safe. Hope this little thing cheers you up ❤️.

Arthur was going mad shut inside his small apartment, admittedly he was never one for going out in the first place spending most of his time either at work, home or the occasional trip to the store; but as being a clown was not considered an essential job, he now found himself going stir crazy, with only the TV for company.

Gotham was like a ghost town, barely anyone stepping foot outside, with only the infrequent hum of a car travelling down the street, to break the silence; it had all seemed quite pleasant to begin with, the roads weren't as congested, no one to bump into him as he went to get groceries, and even the air seemed sweeter; but as the self-quarantine seemed to be lasting longer and longer, Arthur was reconsidering his original thoughts.

He needed someone to talk to, someone to be close to, someone so that he didn't feel so truly alone; and only one person sprung to mind, (Y/n).

(Y/n) had lived right next door for some time, and from the day she had moved in, she and Arthur had become instant friends. Normally Arthur would go over to her apartment to have dinner, to have tea, or simply watch TV and talk; but as the current situation had continued Arthur had seen (Y/n) less and less. He knew she was a nurse, and was working all hours, but that didn't mean he didn't miss their time together, and she was the one he wanted to see.

She had always been so nice to him, picking up his medication for him if he was busy, making sure he ate, cleaning his wounds when he got beaten up, and giving him new strategies on how to deal with an episode if he felt one coming on; she made him feel special and for those reasons, and many more, he wanted her to be more than a friend.

He had been smitten since he had first heard her laugh, since he had seen her brilliant smile, and felt her soft hand against his bruised skin; but it was when she had pulled him in for a hug one day, that he knew his heart belonged to her.

He knew he shouldn't go over, he knew he had heard her come back from another long shift only a short while ago and she would probably be dead on her feet, but he had been feeling slightly unwell over the last couple of days, and who better to give him the all clear than the girl he had a huge crush on.

Arthur cautiously poked his head outside his door, making sure that the corridor was clear, when he saw no one he quietly closed his door, and softly knocked on (Y/n)'s.

"Arthur? Are you ok?" (Y/n) said, as she opened the door, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Er well...... I've just been feeling a little off colour over the past couple of days, I was hoping that you could check me over?" Arthur asked, looking slightly embarrassed.

"Of course Arthur, anything for my favourite patient." (Y/n) said, smiling as she pulled him inside.

As (Y/n) when to get her bag, Arthur sat down on her deep comfortable sofa, and he instantly found himself feeling a bit better.

"I'm sorry about this (Y/n), I know you've only just got back from work, you must be tired." Arthur said, as (Y/n) sat down on the sofa next to him.

"Don't be silly Arthur, I've missed you. Its not the same without you, I miss our time together; I'm afraid with everything that's going on I've been neglecting you." (Y/n) said, as she placed an old fashioned thermometer under his tongue.

"Well, your temperature is fine." She said, checking the thermometer, before searching around in her medical bag for anything else that might help.

"I've missed you too (Y/n), I'm going crazy in my apartment, and I know that everyone else needs you, but I need you too." Arthur said, watching as (Y/n) looked up from her bag, crossing her arms over her chest, and trying to look stern.

"Mr. Arthur Fleck; are you actually feeling sick, or is this just an excuse to come and see me?" (Y/n) asked, trying not to laugh as Arthur turned a beautiful shade of red.

"Well I thought I was feeling sick, but when I saw you, I started to feel better, turns out that you are the best medicine." Arthur said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Oh Arthur." (Y/n) laughed, snuggling her head into his shoulder, and wrapping her arm around his waist.

"I don't care how tired I am, or how long I've been working; seeing you has made me feel better too." She said, as Arthur placed his arm around her shoulder.

"I...... I could stay if you like?" Arthur said hesitantly as he looked down at a smiling (Y/n).

"I tell you what; if you come and keep me warm while I get a couple of hours sleep, when I get up, I'll make dinner, and we can do whatever you like. I have the night off and can't think of any better way to spend it than with my boyfriend." (Y/n) said, kissing a shocked Arthur on the lips.

"B-b-boyfriend? M-m-me, your boyfriend?" Arthur stuttered out, not quite believing what (Y/n) had just said.

"Well, if you don't like the idea, I could always find another neighbour to keep me company in bed." (Y/n) said, standing up, desperately trying to conceal the smirk on her face.

"Oh, no, no, no, I like.... I mean, I love the idea." Arthur said, grabbing (Y/n)'s wrist, and pulling her back down onto the sofa.

"Good, because I don't allow just anyone to keep me warm while I sleep." (Y/n) said, grabbing hold of Arthur's hand and pulling him towards her bedroom, yawning loudly as she went.

As (Y/n) pulled her large comforter over the pair of them, snuggling into his side as she closed her eyes, Arthur couldn't help but think that he didn't mind this new kind of quarantine.