Alone - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

With a huge sigh of relief, (Y/n) finally managed to find her keys. Now, all that was required was a quick trip to check her mailbox, and then it would be up to Arthur's apartment. Up to the one place that she felt truly happy.

It wasn't that she didn't like some aspects of her life. Her little job at the pharmacy could be quite interesting. Her boss was an okay guy, and the position paid just enough to ensure that she could pay all her bills. That she wouldn't starve, and on the odd occasion, be able to buy something a little frivolous. And today had been one of those days. The brand new, bright summer dress, having been shouting at her from the store window for weeks, to buy it. And even though she didn't know when she would get a chance to ever wear it, it made her hope for brighter days. For the sun. And perhaps, if she could steer the conversation, she just might be able to model it for someone. Tonight.

(Y/n) couldn't help but find herself chuckling as she made her way into the old building. Arthur was prone to blushing at the best of times. (Y/n) sure that every time that she even smiled at him, a wonderful pink glow would kiss his cheeks. So, she could only imagine what would happen to her sweet clown, if she were to sport her new purchase just for him. Though she had to admit, that it would be fun to find out.

As usual, there was nothing in her mailbox apart from the weekly letter from her parents. As always, they would be telling her to come home. That she was missed. That surely there was nothing for her in the big city, and that she could come and stay with them for as long as they wanted. But how could she go home? Everything reminded her of what she had lost. And at least here, there was Arthur. The one person that had given her hope.

The trip up in the elevator was as nerve-wracking as always. (Y/n) sure that the rattling, banging contraption, had had something die in it. Or at least, that was how it smelt. So as the doors slowly slid open to reveal the stark corridor of hers and Arthur's floor, she was relieved. The short walk to his apartment a relief after being couped up in that death trap, for even a few seconds.

"Delivery for Mister Fleck." (Y/n) called out with a chuckle, as she knocked on Arthur's door. Her smile growing broader, as she saw a familiar mop of dark hair and pair of perfect green eyes.

"Hi, Arthur. Sorry I'm a little late, I had to pick up something. But I'm here now, and there you go." (Y/n) said, as she pulled out his bag of medication from her own bag. Handing it to the already blushing Arthur.

"Oh.......... that's ok, (Y/n). Thank you for bringing my things. I........I don't suppose that you would like to stay for some tea tonight, would you? I know it's late, but..........."

"I'd love to." (Y/n) quickly interrupted. Not wanting to give the nervous man a chance to change his mind for any reason. Making her way into the apartment as Arthur opened the door fully to let her in. Arthur gallantly taking her coat, before she made her way over the beat up old sofa.

He wished that he had at least thought about cleaning up a little. He always did his best to try and make a good impression when (Y/n) came calling. But today, he himself had had to work late, and hadn't had time to move the mess that he sometimes let grow up around him. Arthur hoping that (Y/n) wouldn't think less of him, or that he was some kind of slob. Yet, as she sat on the chair and smiled at him. Seemingly waiting for him to say something, or at least make his way through to the kitchen so that he could make the tea. Not appearing to notice, or care about anything that was around them, Arthur breathed an internal sigh of relief.

"Tea would be lovely, thank you, Arthur. It's been a long day." (Y/n) said. Her words reminding of what he should be doing, rather than just standing there worrying about something that he didn't need to worry about.

"Oh, er........yes. Tea." Arthur replied, as he made his way over to the kitchen. An embarrassed glow kissing his cheeks as he passed her. The quiet clown chastising himself for appearing quite so foolish, as he readied the cups.

"What did you have to pick up?" Arthur called out.

"I mean........I'm sorry (Y/n) I didn't mean to be nosey. I just......."

"That's ok, Arthur. I actually, well, I actually went and bought myself a new dress. I had to save up for a few weeks but, I was actually able to get it before the store closed, today. Would you like to see it?" (Y/n) explained. Thanking Arthur as he handed her the cup and took a seat next to her. (Y/n) smiling broadly, as Arthur nodded.

"I don't know when I'll ever be able to wear it. I doubt that anyone will ever get the chance to see me in it. But I couldn't help myself. And occasionally its nice to treat yourself. Don't you think?" (Y/n) replied. Putting her cup down on the floor and pulling the dress from it bag and holding it up to show Arthur. The clown's eyes growing wide as he looked at the garment.

It was beautiful and light. The bright flowered pattern that covered it, seeming to colour his small, dull apartment. But it was the length that Arthur couldn't fail but notice. It wasn't scandalous, but Arthur was sure that if and when (Y/n) did get to wear it, she would look perfect.

"You could wear it now. I'd love to see it." Arthur suddenly blurted out. Wishing that he could cram the words back into his mouth as soon as he had said them. A bright red glow heating his skin as he believed that (Y/n) would think that he was some kind of strange...........

"Really? Would you really like to see me in it?" (Y/n) asked excitedly. Arthur's horror at blurting out his desire to see (Y/n) in her new purchase, lessening as she gripped his hand and smiled.

"Er......yes. I.......only if you want to, (Y/n)." Arthur replied, looking up as (Y/n) got to her feet.

"I'd love to. I'd love you to be the first one to see me in it. Could I use the bedroom to get change?" (Y/n) said giddily. Arthur finding himself speechless. Only able to nod and continue to blush as (Y/n) kissed him on the cheek and made for the bedroom. The simple man sure that he was going to be sick with excitement, as he waited for (Y/n) to return.

"Well Arthur. What do you think?" (Y/n) asked. Arthur turning to see (Y/n) standing in the doorway. Sure, that at any moment his heart was going to beat out of his chest as he stared in disbelief at the vision before him. How could she possibly have grown more beautiful in just a matter of moment? How could he want her more than he already did? Yet somehow..........

"Don't you like it? I hoped........" (Y/n) continued. Her smile suddenly fading, as she looked between the silent Arthur and the thin, flowing material that covered her form. (Y/n) turning to make her way back to the bedroom, not wishing to embarrass herself any longer. Her heart and soul dropping as she realised that her beacon of light had been snuffed out.

"Beautiful!" Arthur exclaimed, as he jumped to his feet. (Y/n) stopping as she felt Arthur place his hand delicately on her shoulder.

"You.....you look beautiful, (Y/n). More beautiful than you even you normally do." Arthur added quietly. (Y/n) turning to look at him. Doing her best to control the tears that trickled down her cheeks.

"Really? You really think so? You're not just saying that, are you?" (Y/n) sniffed, as she brushed away the tears with the palm of her hand.

"Really, (Y/n). I.......I think.....I think........"

"Think what, Arth........?" (Y/n) interrupted. Her own words interrupted as Arthur kissed her lips softly. Neither he nor (Y/n) able to believe what he was doing. Yet it was happening, and neither wanted it to stop.

"I think, no, I know that.......that I love you." Arthur finally told her, as their lips reluctantly parted. Arthur not sure how he had been able to say all that without breaking out into a laugh or losing his nerve. All he knew was that he had said it, and he was glad that he had. Now though, all he could hope was that (Y/n) wouldn't laugh in his face, or bolt for the door.

"You do? Because.....if you do. I love you too, Arthur. I have done since I saw you that first time." (Y/n) replied. Her hand reaching up so that she could brush Arthur's hair away from his face. (Y/n)'s smile returning as Arthur slowly nodded. His arms hesitantly wrapping themselves around her and pulling her close.

"I do." Arthur said softly. All fear, embarrassment, self-doubt and aloneness disappearing, as (Y/n) kissed him again. Both lonely souls having a feeling that they weren't going to lonely anymore.