The one that got away - Part 3

This part is a little shorter, but there will be a fourth and final part to finish this imagine off 🃏😃

"(Y/n)?" Arthur asked shakily as he stood to his feet, ignoring the glares of the guard.

"You got thirty minutes." The guard said gruffly, as he left to sit and wait outside, observing the pair from an adjacent room.

"H-hello...... hello Arthur, or....or do you prefer I call you Joker?" (Y/n) asked nervously, as she sat down at the table.

Arthur sat back down, still trying to comprehend what he was seeing; surly this was a dream? Maybe he had been given too much medication, maybe he had banged his head and the woman in front of him was an hallucination, but whatever the reason, he didn't want this to be over. Even after all this time she was more beautiful than his memories of her, not even in his wildest fantasies late at night when he would pleasure himself as he thought about her body and what it would have been like to have loved her, had she been so perfect.

"For you, Arthur will be fine." He said with a smile, as he took a cigarette for the packet.

"I see some things never change. You were always a slave to those things." (Y/n) chuckled softly as Arthur became surrounded by a great cloud of silvery smoke.

"Yeah well, we all have our vices." Arthur told her, looking down at the cigarette in his hand.

"Are you really here?" Arthur asked, for a moment not daring to look up at the woman sat across from him.

"Of course I'm really here, why wouldn't I be?" (Y/n) said softly, as she reached her hands across the table and took a gentle hold of his, Arthur's eyes shooting up as he felt the sudden contact.

"Because I'm not that lucky........ so why are you here (Y/n)? Why after all these years?" Arthur asked, as (Y/n) moved backwards in her chair letting go of his hand, a heavy sigh emanating from her lips.

"I....... well, I saw you, or..... I saw Joker on the news, when they said your name I just felt that I had to come and see you; I felt that I needed to speak to you to find out what changed you from the Arthur I knew, the Arthur I loved, to the man that could kill in cold blood." (Y/n) told him, her eyes never leaving the table.

Arthur huffed. "Each damn one of them deserved what they got, they deserved to die (Y/n), especially Penny, she deserved it more than the others." He growled, (Y/n)'s eyes flying up to meet his.

"You...... you killed your mother? Why Arthur...... why would you do that?" (Y/n) blurted out, not sure that she had heard him correctly.

"Why? You want to know why I killed that bitch?" Arthur asked, suddenly leaning forward dramatically.

"She lied to me (Y/n), she lied about everything. She lied about Thomas Wayne being my father, she lied about not being in Arkham, lied about the fact that the Wayne's had let her go because of her increasing mental instability; but most of all she lied about being my mother. I was never her son, I'm adopted, though how the authorities allowed a woman like Penny Fleck to adopt a child is beyond me. My whole life is a lie (Y/n), everything I thought I knew came from the twisted mind of that demented old woman, and the worst thing of all, the very worst thing she did, was making me feel guilty, so guilty that I didn't leave with you." Arthur told her, watching the pain and shock in (Y/n)'s eyes.

Arthur' s eyes grew wide as (Y/n) put her head in her hands and began to laugh. "You have no idea how many times I thought about coming back here and killing that bitch myself, how many times I though about what she had taken from me, how she had destroyed my life; but I didn't because I knew that you would never forgive me, that you would hate me for taking her away from you, so I stayed away, thinking that it was for the best." (Y/n) told him as she looked back up, desperately wiping away the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"I hated you for so long Arthur, I hated that you didn't love me enough to come with me that day; I hated that I still loved you more than life itself, but most of all I hated myself for leaving you. I was so angry, and as much as I wanted to talk to you, to contact you, I admit that I wanted to hurt you, to make you feel the pain that I felt; but not once did I ever stop loving you. By the time that I had got some sort of normality in my life, I thought that you would have forgotten about me, or that you wouldn't want anything to do with me, so that's why I never contacted you, I know it was wrong, and I'm sorry." (Y/n) confessed, taking a deep breath as she looked into Arthur's green eyes.

"When I saw you on the news, I knew I had to see you, I knew that you might need someone that could help, someone that would be on your side, so I got my friend to talk to a lawyer he knows, and he's the one that was able to get me here. I........ I, I had to tell you that I still care, that I always cared, and that I never forgot about you." (Y/n) confessed, watching as a smile grew across his lips, his cuffed hands reaching across the table so that he could brush away the tears.

"What does your husband think about you caring for a killer clown?" Arthur questioned, as (Y/n) took his hand and pressed it to her cheek.

"No husband." (Y/n) told him, shaking her head softly.

"I admit that I've had a couple of boyfriends, but things never worked out, there was always something wrong with them." She said, chuckling as Arthur looked at her, a wicked sparkle in his eye.

"And what, pray tell, was wrong with these losers?" He asked, his eyes closing as he enjoyed the feel of her soft skin once again after so long.

"There was only one thing wrong with any of them.......... They weren't you." (Y/n) said truthfully, Arthur's eyes flying back open as he felt her lips on his.

Ignoring the shouts of the guard next door, Arthur stood up, pulling (Y/n) into his arms as best he could, and deepened the kiss, smiling as he felt her wrap her arms around him.

"I know I've done so many bad things (Y/n), I know that I'm not the Arthur that you remember, but please stay, please." Arthur whispered into her ear as he held her close.

"I left you once Arthur, I'm not doing it again; I don't care what you've done, and whether you're Arthur or Joker it doesn't matter, I'm staying this time, so you better get used to having me around." (Y/n) chuckled, as she pulled away so that she could look into his eyes.

"She's gone Arthur, the one thing that kept us apart, and I'm not going to let anyone or anything else separate us again." She told him, kissing him one more time, as they heard the jangle of keys in the door.

"Ok Fleck, you know the routine, sit back down." The guard ordered as he glared at Arthur.

"Time to go." The man said condescendingly, turning to look at (Y/n).

"I'll see you soon Arthur, I promise." (Y/n) said, as the guard opened the door for her to leave.

"I'm never gonna let you get away again sweetheart." Arthur said, grinning as she walked out of the door, but this time not out of his life.