Bionic Woman - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur had stood at the back of the funeral home, paying his last respects to an old man he had known for a while.

He had met Harry when he had helped the old man with a big bag of shopping that had threatened to tumble all over the inside of the old, dirty elevator, and from that moment the two men had strangely become friends. It was obvious that Harry was as lonely as he was, so the two had seemed to connect easily, and Arthur had spent many a night listening to the elder man tell him war story after war story, the old paratrooper reliving his greatest and worst memories.

Arthur never minded when Harry would tell him the same story more than once, he showed such enthusiasm that Arthur could never bring himself to interrupt him, choosing instead to listen as if it was the first time he had heard it, enjoying the company of someone that didn't see him as some kind of freak.

Arthur had once had an episode in front of the old man, but as he had attempted to escape Harry's apartment, trying to avoid the fear filled stares and embarrassment, he instead had found himself pulled him into Harry's arms, the man patting him reassuringly on the back until a pained Arthur could breath again.

Harry had explained that he had seen men react to trauma in many different ways, some would become violent, some would burst into uncontrollable tears, and yet others would laugh, so Arthur's sudden outburst was nothing he hadn't seen before.

But of all the times that Arthur had spent in Harry's company, there was one thing that he would never tire of, happy to listen to it over and over again, and that was the stories of Harry's granddaughter (Y/n).

Harry would regale the younger man with tales of his beloved grandchild's exploits as she served her country across the globe, proudly telling Arthur that of all the things that he had achieved in life, of all the medals and honours he had received during his service, the greatest thing that he had ever received was (Y/n).

Arthur could remember vividly the day that he had knocked on the door of his friends apartment, only to enter to find the old man in tears; he had told him that he had received a call to say that (Y/n) had been involved in an accident, an accident that had nearly cost her life, but had resulted in her losing a limb instead.

Arthur recalled feeling sick to his stomach at the idea of such a thing happening to someone like Harry's granddaughter, and even though he didn't know her personally, he felt that through her grandfathers stories he knew her intimately, and the news had devastated him.

"Promise me something." Harry had said, suddenly gripping Arthur's hand.

"If anything happens to me, promise me that you will look after my (Y/n). She's lost everything she's ever known, so she'll need a friend when she loses me too. She's a strong girl, but even the strongest can fall to their knees." Harry had ask, desperation in his eyes as he stared up at Arthur; but it wasn't until Arthur had reassured him that he would do all he could if (Y/n) needed him, that Harry relaxed, slumping back in his chair as he sighed heavily.

Arthur didn't know what to expect when he had made his way to Harry's funeral, but there were butterflies in his stomach at the thought of finally meeting the woman that he had only seen in pictures, and heard about in Harry's gushing praises.

There was a part of Arthur that had to admit that he had already fallen head over heels for (Y/n), he knew it was crazy, but how could he not be; she was brave and beautiful, and despite the accident she had gone on to try and make a new life for herself; but when he had seen her stood next to her grandfather's coffin, soft tears gently rolling down her cheeks, Arthur knew that it was not the time for him to meet her, to tell her that Harry had asked him to look after her, so he had stood in the shadows watching from a far, as the woman he wanted to know in person, wept for the grandfather she had lost.