A little bit of magic - Part 5 - Arthur x Reader

For blairgranger0. But I hope you all enjoy.

Arthur dropped himself onto the large comfortable sofa. A soft sigh leaving his lips, as the cushions seemed to envelop him. He was sure that he had never been fuller in his life. Never felt fatter and happier, ever.

As he had sat down at the table. As he had watched wide eyed, as (Y/n) had placed a plate and several bowls filled with fresh vegetables and a mountain of mashed potatoes in front of him, he would never have believed that he would have been able to consume so much. And with his medication dulling his appetite he was sure that he would only be able to partake of just enough to not make (Y/n) feel like she had wasted her time. But boy had he been wrong. From the first mouthful, he had found himself going back for more and more. The meal like nothing he had ever tasted. He didn't know that food could taste quiet this good. And he was sure that this meal was even better than the soup that he had had the day before. The clown continuing to tell (Y/n) all about his day between mouthfuls of food.

He was also sure that he had never laughed so much. And he didn't mean his laugh. Not the laugh that tortured him. That tormented him. That scared others away. No, this had been real laughter. A tears rolling down the cheeks kind of laugher. A series of guffaws. A snigger and snort inducing chortle. Arthur sure that (Y/n) was the funniest person that he had ever met. The two trading jokes and funny scenarios from their days at work. Arthur unable to believe some of the strange things that people would come into her store and ask for. How she was thinking of stocking eye of newt and toe of frog. Wool of bat and tongue of dog, just in case one of Macbeth's witches found her way into the store one day.

"I hope you've left room for dessert." (Y/n) chuckled, as she took a seat next to her guest on the sofa. Arthur not sure whether he could actually eat anything else for the rest of the week. But still finding himself nodding in agreement. The smile on (Y/n)'s face making him sure that he could find just enough room to enjoy whatever sweet treat she had in mind.

"I think I might just have to roll you out of here when you're ready to leave. You won't be walking home, you'll be bouncing." (Y/n) continued, as she made herself comfortable. She had to admit that she was a little shocked that Arthur had actually been able to consume so much. Especially considering what he had told her about all the medicine that he had to take. Given that his appetite normally only leant itself to a cigarette of two. Yet she had enjoyed seeing him eat her food. It had been so nice to be able to cook for someone again. To feel it was worth cooking again. And from what he had spoken about through mouthfuls of soup after she had brought him back to her store, it was definitely worth cooking for the lovely man.

It had been so interesting, yet so saddening listening to him as he had spoken of his day to day life. Of his work. His home. His conditions. How what she had rescued him from, was nothing new. And (Y/n) had decided that despite the fact that they had only just met, that she would like to get to know the clown better. That there was something sweet about him. Something that made everything seem worth it again.

"Do you mind if I ask you something?" Arthur enquired tentatively. Taking a deep breath before he started, as (Y/n) nodded in agreement.

"The store owner that I was spinning the sign for yesterday, called my boss. He said that I had done a good job. But........but I wasn't there for most of the day. And I was......well, I was just wondering if you had something to do with that? Whether you helped." Arthur continued. (Y/n) letting out a soft sigh, before sitting back into the sofa.

"Well........I might have gone and said something. It was just that, when Gary came to promote this place, he told me about your boss. And given what he said, I thought that you might get in trouble. That you might lose your job or something because you spent the rest of the day with me. And I couldn't let that happen. So, I found the store and went in. I informed them what had happened to you. That you had been beaten up because you had to go and retrieve your sign. I must admit that they were a little reluctant to give a damn about it all, at first. But after someone told the guy who......or should that be, what they think I am. They seem to change their mind. I always find it amazing that even in this day and age, people still think that someone can put a curse on them, or some such rubbish. It's ridiculous of course. Completely ludicrous. But I find that in some ways, it is very useful to have them think it." (Y/n) explained, a small pink hue coming to her cheeks, as Arthur looked at her.

"You.......you really did that for me? But.......but why................?" Arthur asked in disbelief. Still amazed that someone that he had only just met, would give such a damn about him.

"Of course. And I did it because, as I said, I didn't want you getting in trouble. I figured that one beating a day was enough for anyone. And the last thing you needed was your boss coming down on you. That........and well, I don't think that bad things should happen to good people. I mean, I know they do, that's just life. But I thought that, seeing I might be able to help. That I would do my best to stop another bad thing happening to you." (Y/n) explained. Arthur feeling his heart beat at a pace, as she told him about her reasoning. As she gave him another small smile.

It was such a weird feeling, actually having someone care about him. Having someone give a damn about what happened to him. To meet someone that actually noticed he even existed. And he had to admit that he liked it. That he really liked it. That it was a wonderful sensation, and he didn't want it to stop. He hoped that it wouldn't stop. The breath catching in his throat, as (Y/n) leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek, before getting to her feet.

"And.........I think that might just be the cue to put the dessert in the oven." (Y/n) told him, before heading back to the kitchen. A large smile spreading across Arthur's face as he closed his eyes and dropped his head on to the back of the sofa. Sure that (Y/n) was right, and that he would be able to just  roll himself home.