Schoolboy crush - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

"So......a full scholarship, huh?" Arthur tentatively enquired, as the two made their way through the streets.

"Oh, er, yeah. Hey, my mom will be out. Do you want to stay and keep me company for a while? My mom doesn't do much for me, but she always keeps the icebox well stocked, so we can have something to eat. In truth, I think its more out of guilt than care for my wellbeing. She prefers to be out with one of her boyfriends than be stuck with me." (Y/n) said. Obviously desperate to change the subject.

"I.......ok." Arthur replied happily. Not about to give up on a chance to spend more time with her.

"Great! I live just over there. Come on." (Y/n) told him. Pointing to a small house before taking his hand and pulling him into a run. The pair dodging the honking traffic as everything around Arthur seemed to become a blur.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

Arthur looked around the small home. It was nothing spectacular, but it was much better than the apartment that he lived in with his mom. And even though it appeared a little dusty here and there. It was, in fact, quite well looked after.

"Dump, isn't it?" (Y/n) asked, as she took Arthur into the kitchen. Sitting him down at the table.

"I try to keep it clean, but I hate housework. I always promised myself that I'd get a housekeeper, or a maid. Maybe even a butler to do all those boring chores when I get older." (Y/n) chuckled as she opened the refrigerator door and placed her head inside. Jars and bottles clinking as she looked for something suitable to eat.

"Well, we could have lobster. Maybe some caviar. Perhaps a nice big juicy steak. Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, Arthur. We could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk. (Y/n) smiling as she reappeared from the icebox. Arthur seeming to muse for a moment.

"I think that I'll have the PB and J."

"Excellent choice, Monsieur. For I can assure you that the chef makes only the finest peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the whole city. And our milk comes only from the best cows." (Y/n) replied in the worst French accent possible. Arthur unable to stop himself from laughing as (Y/n) placed a towel over her arm, before draping another one over his lap like they were in some fancy restaurant in the best part of town.

"Is your mom at work?" Arthur asked, as he watched (Y/n) carry an armful of things over to the counter.

"Er.........I don't think that you could call what she does, work, in the traditional. No, in no sense of the word. To be honest, I don't know what my mom does to make money. And I don't really want to know. But I can guess. As far as I can make out, she just has lots of boyfriends. But as long as none of the creeps come near me, I really don't care." (Y/n) explained, as she placed the sandwich and glass of milk in front of Arthur. One of her familiar smiles crossing her lips as she took a seat across the table from him.

"Not much of a role model my mom. And that's why I'm going to escape. She doesn't know about the scholarship. I forged her signature on any paperwork that came here. I've managed to scurry away some money, so as soon as school is over, I'm getting out of Gotham. I'm going clear across the other side of the country. As far away as I can get from her. I'm going to make something of myself, Arthur. Not get knocked up on prom night like god knows how many other girls and be forced to turn into my mother. It's not like she'll care anyway. I doubt that she will even notice I've gone. And it will mean that she can have her boyfriends around here all the time." (Y/n) continued as she bit into her sandwich. Arthur not really shocked by (Y/n)'s candour, like he would be so many others. For as long as he had known her, she had always spoken her mind. Always said it as she saw it. So, having her tell him all about her mom in such a fashion, was nothing that he wouldn't expect.

"But........but were are you going? What college?" Arthur asked. Part of him wishing that she would stay in Gotham with him. The other part knowing that if she was lucky enough to be able to escape, then he should give her all the encouragement in the world.

"I'll show you. Grab your food and follow me." (Y/n) told him. Arthur dutifully doing as he was told. Racing up the stairs after (Y/n) and following her to her room.

"What........?"

"Oh, this? It's a pervert deterrent device for when mom brings one of her boyfriends around. If I'm downstairs, I hate the idea of one of those creeps going into my room. And this is nothing compared to what's on the other side." (Y/n) informed him. As Arthur looked in disbelief at the big padlock that (Y/n) was currently unlocking.

"Come on." (Y/n) said as she threw open the door. Arthur looking around the room as he entered. Sure, that he had never seen so many books in a room other than when he went to the library. Things that looked like strange little experiments, covering the floor and every other available flat surface.

"Will you just close the door and put the bolts on? If mom comes home, I don't want her barging in." (Y/n) told him, as she scrambled around in a draw. Arthur once again doing as he was told, before taking a seat on her bed.

"Won't your mom mind you having me.......I mean, won't she be upset about you having a guy in your room." Arthur asked nervously. Not wanting to get in trouble for being in a situation, in which, he never thought he'd find himself. To Arthur, girl's bedrooms were magical things that he had always heard about, but never thought that he would see in real life. A little like a unicorn.

"Are you kidding? Were you not listening to me when I told you about her? I don't think she'd care if I had a line of boys stretched around the block. Here, this is where I am going." (Y/n) told him as she dropped down next to him on the bed and handed him a little brochure for the college. Arthur looking at the pictures of the ivy covered walkways, and the well-manicured lawns. The old main buildings and the smiling faces of the equally well-manicured students. He couldn't help but think that this was another world. A world that he would never experience. The shy young man already resigning himself to the fact that he would never leave their rotten city, and would probably end up with some dead end job.

"But that....... that's miles away, (Y/n). Will you ever come back? I......I'll miss you. I wish I could come with you." Arthur finally replied. A blush flooding his cheeks as (Y/n) grabbed his hand.

"That's the point, Arthur. The further the better. And it's the best school, as well. And to be honest, I think I'll miss you too. I think I might get bored when I'm not having to save your ass every day from those morons at school." (Y/n) chuckled as she took his face in her hand and raised his head so that the two were looking at one another.

"You have to be the sweetest, nicest guy I know. And I feel like I've known you forever. And part of me wishes you could come with me too, as I have a terrible feeling that McKenzie won't be the only bully that you have to face. Because people don't understand special guys like you. But I'll make you a deal, Arthur. Even if I don't come back here, you and I will always be friends. I'll write to you every week, and you can write to me. And no matter how much life changes, I will never forget the first boy to walk me home. Pinkie promise." (Y/n) told him, holding out her little finger for Arthur to loop his own round.

"Pinkie promise." Arthur replied as he hooked his finger around hers. Wishing that (Y/n) saw him as more than a friend, but knowing that that would do for now.

"Excellent. Now, tell me all about what you want to do after we finish at that dumb school?" (Y/n) enquired. Arthur summoning up the courage to make himself a little more comfortable on the bed, before telling her all about his dreams for a future that he knew would never happen.