the fear of love - calum hood

on certain days when calum wasn't feeling his best, no one could help him. sometimes the boy was so stuck in his mind, no one could help him. not even her. the person he loved so much. although it stabbed her heart to see him collapse right in front of her, she knew it was best to let him go through the emotions and will support him when he says so. she hasn't spoke to the boy all day yet saw him wander around the house like a ghost with his normally soft pink lips curved downward.

it was noon time now, the sun beginning to set and spill the golden hour rays into the quiet house. she was cleaning dishes that they both had ignored for a few days now and all she could do was distract herself in order to not panic over calum.

as she ran the soapy sponge over a plate, she heard an amp turn on and the strumming over of a guitar string or two. a soft sigh of relief left her lips as she listened to her lover tune his instrument before hearing a beautiful acoustic melody echo throughout the house.

dropping the plate back in the water, she dried her hands and quietly tip-toed into the music room, seeing calum on the floor with his electric guitar in his lap. his back was to her as she saw his long fingers dance against the fret board.

a smile couldnt help but form on her lips. she felt a weight had been lifted off her shoulders seeing the boy get his feelings out any way he could. she knew he'll bottle up his feelings till his body & mind couldn't handle it. he knew it too. but he couldn't help it.

although he told her that he was in love with her, and he was, feelings still scared him. his past would creep into his mind and trigger his demons to come and swallow him, telling him his worthless and not worthy of a girl like her. that he won't find true love.
that everything anyone has told him about love wasn't real and will never happen to him. these were the thoughts that scared him in moments like these.

it was hard to face them, but he's trying. he's trying for her. she is the motivation and light in his darkness of his mind. she makes him feel things he didn't know he'd feel, whether it was her just simply looking at him or writing him little notes and leaving them all over the house. or it was the kindness and compassion she gave like picking up his dry cleaning or watching duke when he couldnt and was traveling the world, he appreciated every single thing she did. the thing was, he felt he never expressed that to her and it frustrated him.

his fingers stopped plucking at the metal strings, letting out a deep sigh. he spun around to look for his journal and a pencil but instead met eyes with her. calum felt his heart stop he saw her. he thought she looked really pretty and wanted to tell her everything, but he didn't know what to say. instead, he put his guitar down and stepped over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

she breathed in his scent, kissing his temple as his cheeks bared in her neck. "wanna lay down?" she whispered, running her fingers over his grown out bleached hair.

"mhm"

with that, she took his calloused fingers and they went to the bedroom. the two laid on the bed, calum becoming so small, cradling into her arms as he fluttered his eyes closed. as he tried to collect his thoughts, she rubbed the back of his neck softly,
staying silent.

"i'm sorry." was all he could say.

"don't be sorry. i just want you to be okay," she replied, pulling to look at him. she grabbed his face and he curved the corners of his mouth so they went up slightly. "i'll always be here for you whether you want me to or not. i'm still gonna love you."

calum felt his heart beat in his throat and his eyes get a little watery but he didn't want to cry so instead, he pulled her closer to meet his lips with hers. he kissed her with all the emotion he could put into that touch. that was how he showed his love. he might not be able to say it, be he can make her feel it.

he could feel her smiling against his lips which made him a little happy. once he finally pulled, calum looked at his pretty girl, looking at her bare sleepy face. she looked back at him, running her thumb over his rosy cheek before she kissed him again.

"do you want to do anything? i know we've been stuck in the house the past few days.." calum asked, his fingers tracing shapes on her back as she pressed her lips to his face.

"i don't mind being stuck in the house if its with you," she smiled big. "but how about we play mario kart or something?"

"okay, that sounds cool." he shot her a small back, sitting up and taking her hand. with that, the two walked out to spend quality time together.