the best mistake - calum

"ready to go?" calum smiled at her. she just shrugged, grabbing the baby bag along with her phone and keys. "y/n, c'mon, cheer up." he frowned, grabbing her hand, their chests colliding.

"how can i cheer up when my family is gonna give me shit like they always do." she sighed looking over at their daughter, rosalyn. the pair had their child unplanned and because her and calum weren't married and were having a child, and when her family-and fans-weren't happy. calum's parents took it way better and she wouldn't lie, she envied that.

"rosie, baby, let's go." calum called, holding his hand out for her. when she turned her little head, her natural curls bounced with her, tiny chubby legs taking her to her daddy. swiftly, he picked her up, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "it's gonna be okay, angel." he looked back at her with stern eyes. she just nodded, the three leaving their home and duke.

once rosalyn was all bucked up, calum drove them to her family's house, one hand on the sterling wheel while the other held her hand resting in her lap. every now and then, he'd take her hand, kissing it or pulling in for a kiss on her lips.

"i'll kick anyones ass if they try to do or say anything."

"calum," she laughed, gently slapping his arm,
letting go of his hand. "shut up."

"what? i will!" he pouted.

"you're too soft now. rosie made you soft." she smiled, turning around to check on their little girl who was already dozing off in her seat. the rest of the ride was quiet for the most part, only music being heard in the car until they pulled up to her parents house.

she looked at calum, taking a shaky breath. the last time she saw her parents was when rosalyn was born, and shes two now. however, calum had called up her dad secretly to chat which then lead to an invitation to a birthday party for one her cousins children.

"babe, its gonna be okay." he reassured again, cutting the engine. calum turned to her, lightly grabbing her cheek to meet her soft lips. "i love you"

"love you too," she sighed, pecking his lips one more time. "now lets get this fucking party over with."

-

"so, calum, hows work?" her dad asked, sitting next to calum in a chair, both men holding beer bottles as she sat beside her boyfriend, watching rosalyn play with all the other children.

"nothing much currently. the bands taking a little break but we still try to get writing done. besides, i wanna spend time with y/n and rosie."

when she heard her name, she snapped out of her gaze, looking over at her lover & father. "wheres mom?" they had been there for about half an hour now and there was no sight of her mother.

"oh shes probably inside with your aunts. why dont you go look for her?" he shyly smiled. she knew that her father had forgiven her long ago about her and calum having a baby. as much as he wanted to punch calum the second he found out he had knocked up his daughter, he pushed that feeling inside. it was obvious calum loved y/n & rosie and wasn't planning to ever leave their side.

"but what about ro-"

"don't worry, joe & i are literally right here watching her." calum smiled with her father. she knew was he was doing and she wasn't having it. as she got up, she lightly smacked his shoulder before stepping into the house.

the second she stepped in, she could hear all the middle aged women from the kitchen. before stepping into the room, she took a deep breath, quickly stepping in to find her mom with her other aunts.

"y/n! we didn't know you were coming!"

after greeting family and such, she was left with her mother.

"hi mom." she swallowed.

"hello."

"oh karen why are you acting so cold? hug your daughter!" one of your aunts scoffed.

"because she doesn't want to hug her child for one mistake they made that ended up being the best thing in their life. but she just chooses to see otherwise." she choked out, tears filling her eyes before leaving the kitchen and back outside.

calum saw her, he quickly got to his feet, grabbing her arms. "baby-"

"i want to go home." she muttered.

"y/n, whats wrong?" her dad asked.

"mom! moms the fucking problem dad." she snapped. "she doesnt even want to hug me, let alone greet her own granddaughter. its like i dont exist to her. if thats what she wants, fine, ill give it to her. come on calum, we're going." she pulled herself away from calum, grabbing rosie before leaving the backyard.

calum looked over at her father who looked heartbroken. "i'll talk to her." he sadly smiled.

"i've told karen to get over this whole thing but.." joe groaned. "i'm really sorry."

"don't worry about it, its not your fault."

calum said bye to his girlfriends dad before following out the backyard to the car, seeing his beautiful girl crying in the passenger seat. he opened the door, holding his hand out.

"im not going back there if thats what you're thinking." she scoffed.

"no, lets go sit in the back with rosie."

she paused for a second, looking at calum before taking his hand and the two crawled in the back with their daughter, calum cradling her, he looked over at rosie's mother.

"i hate this," she sighed. "why does she gotta act
like this? like seriously, its been two years. two fucking years."

"i know love," calum sighed, taking her hand in his,
running his thumb over her soft skin. "sorry i forgot to pull out."

she chuckled through her tears at their running joke. "don't be sorry, because then we wouldn't have our baby girl, isn't that right rosie?" she smiled at her daughter, taking her from calum to hug her. "god i love her."

"me too. but baby..?"

"hm?"

calum sighed, looking at her with a serious look. "i know you're gonna argue with me on this but you should really talk to your mum. if she doesn't want to be the adult here, then you can at least. you dont have to do it for yourself or me or your dad, but at least do it for rose so she can have a relationship with her grandparents."

he was right, the first part at least. she didn't want to be the one to talk first. but the second part was the bigger truth, that she needs to step up and be the adult here.

"sometimes i really hate you because you're so right." she groaned. calum giggled, pulling her into his arms, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"so are you gonna?"

"i guess so then." she shrugged.

"i'm really proud of y/n, i know that was hard for you to want to do." the curly haired boy glowed, pecking her lips.

"yeah, yeah. just hold rosie." calum laughed at her comment, taking their daughter as she climbed out of the car. he shot her a thumbs up as she walked back into the house, about face her biggest fear. her mother.