2 - Brave New World

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 2: Brave New World
Word Count: 5534

Ariana's POV

I stood with Elena and Bonnie, helping set up for the Mystic Falls carnival tonight. My eyes scanned my surroundings before I looked back at Bonnie.

"I mean, Madeline and Katherine looked just like you guys. It was freakish." Bonnie said.

"They are our ancestors." Elena sighed. "Hey, I moved the student booths into the cafeteria."

"Your vampire ancestors." Bonnie corrected. "And they didn't just resemble you... like family members would. They were you, guys."

"I don't know. We can't explain it, okay? It's creepy. That's all I got." I shrugged.

"Well, how do you know they're not out there pretending to be you?" Bonnie asked my twin and I.

"We don't. But we could sit here and be tortured by the not knowing, or Ari could help me get these prizes to the ring toss." Elena stated.

"Have either of you talked to Damon since he killed Jeremy?" Bonnie wondered. "Or tried to kill Jeremy?"

"No, Bonnie, we haven't." I mumbled. "And we won't, and I don't wanna talk about Damon, or anything else that's vampire-related. Okay?"

"Copy that." Bonnie nodded as Elena passed me some prizes for the ring toss.

"We're human. And we have to do human stuff, otherwise I'm gonna go crazy." I mentioned.

"Okay. I'm sorry, I'll focus. We have to make Caroline proud. Or else she will kill all three of us." Bonnie chuckled.

"I don't know how she does this." Elena also chuckled.

"Well, because she's not human, obviously." I joked. Elena and Bonnie both laughed quietly and agreed.

---

"Ooh, I see Stefan!" Elena exclaimed as me and her walked through the school halls. "I'll see you later, A."

"Yeah. Bye, E." We hugged quickly, before Elena hurried away to greet Stefan. I glanced around and spotted Nathan talking to Jeremy. I walked over.

"Hello, Ana." Nathan greeted me, kissing my cheek. I smiled up at him, then looked at my little brother.

"Hey, um, Jeremy--"

"Yeah, yeah, I set up the goldfish toss. All 300 goldfish. It's gonna be epic." Jeremy interrupted me, then walked off. I sighed.

"Yeah. He's gonna be alright. He's just been through a little bit of an ordeal." Nathan told me.

"I was just hoping this carnival would reel him back into the land of high school teenager." I muttered.

"Oh, is that what we're doing here?" Nathan questioned.

"Yes, we all are. We're gonna be boring high school students who live in a world where the V-word is not uttered." I stated.

"Got it." Nathan smiled.

"Then later, you're gonna take me to the Ferris wheel. We're gonna ride to the very top, then you're gonna kiss me. And my heart will flutter like a normal high school girl!" I grinned. "Do you see a running theme here?"

"Yeah. No, I'm seeing it. I'm liking it. But I have a quick question." Nathan said. "Um, what do we do about Damon?"

"Uh, no D-word, okay?" I quickly spoke. "That has been deleted from the list of topics that we can discuss."