18 - Under Control

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 18: Under Control
Word Count: 5302

Ariana's POV

"Come on Jeremy! Going to school." Elena yelled up the stairs as I stood with her by the front door, ready for school. "We're walking out the door now."

I opened the front door, but immediately stopped in my tracks when I saw my Uncle John stood there with his fist raised, like he was about to knock on the door.

"Ariana, Elena." John greeted with a smile.

"Uncle John, hi." I responded with a tiny smile back. Uncle John then looked behind us, where Jenna had walked over.

"Jenna." He spoke to her.

"John, you made it." Jenna mumbled, not sounding very pleased.

"Said I'd be in by noon." Uncle John stated.

"Oh, what you say and what you do are typically two very different things." Jenna said.

"Uncle John, what's up?"

We turned and saw Jeremy walking down the stairs. Uncle John greeted Jeremy back, but then Jeremy walked right past Uncle John and out the door.

"I had some business in town." Uncle John mentioned. "I thought a visit was in order."

"How long you staying?" Elena asked.

"I don't know yet." He responded.

"Hmm, okay... well, Elena and I are gonna go to school." I spoke up. "I'll see you later."

Elena and I quickly glanced at Jenna, who hated Uncle John with passion. We then left, leaving Jenna and Uncle John together.

I didn't understand why Jenna hated Uncle John so much.

---

No one's POV

Damon walked towards the Mystic Falls Founders' hall where a council meeting was taking place. Damon was officially part of the council. He entered the building and saw all of the council members in the room, Damon went and stood near the back, behind Mayor Lockwood.

"The coroner's office has officially ruled Vicki Donovan's death a drug overdose." Sheriff Liz Forbes spoke from the front of the crowd of council members. "Her family has been notified. The truth will stay in this room, and we can put this behind us."

"Thank you, Sheriff." Mayor Lockwood stepped forward. Liz nodded once before moving back into the crowd while Mayor Lockwood took his place. Liz went and stood beside Damon, sending him a small smile, which he returned. "And on to a more pressing issue. John Gilbert has asked to say a few words." Mayor Lockwood stated, turning towards John, who stood near the front of the crowd. "Welcome back, John. It's good to see you."

"Thank you Mayor." John responded, moving to stand at the front as Mayor Lockwood stepped back to stand with the rest of the council members. "Hello, everyone. It's wonderful to see you." John addressed everyone. "I wish it were under better circumstances. As a founding family member, I find it's my duty to report some very distressing news."

"He's a Gilbert?" Damon whispered quietly to Liz, the town's amazing Sheriff. Liz nodded.

"Ariana and Elena's uncle. His name's John, but I call him jackass." Liz whispered back.

"A hospital blood bank in the neighboring county of Amherst has reported several
break-ins over the past two weeks." John continued. "Seven hunters, four campers, and two state employees have been reported missing as well, all of this within a 75-mile radius of Mystic Falls." John finished explaining.