12 - What Are You?

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 12: What Are You?
Word Count: 1166

Salty tears sank their way gracefully down Skylar's face as she stared at Enzo's body. She was at a loss for words as she just cried. That was the second time that she'd lost someone she was engaged to, who she'd lost before their wedding... she couldn't take anymore.

Skylar's cell phone then started ringing. She picked it up with shaky hands, and once she saw that it was Damon, she sniffed tearfully and answered.

"Skylar, hey. Sky! Sky, hey, what's wrong? Is she still alive? Skylar, talk to me."

"She's okay. Ariana's okay."

"Well, those aren't tears of joy, Sky. What is wrong?"

"He's gone... Enzo's gone..."

"What?!"

"He's dead. My dad killed him."

"Listen to me, Sky... I am on my way, okay?"

"No! Stay away! Please just stay away from me, uncle Damon."

"Not until I know you're safe. I'll deal with your father."

"I already did."

"What do you mean?"

"I gave my dad the cure. He's human now. Congratulations, uncle Damon... you're the only vampire Salvatore brother now."

Feeling the tears begin to fill her eyes once again, Skylar quickly hung up the phone.

---

Stefan was driving without a destination, definitely going over the speed limit. He had no idea where he was going... he just knew he needed to get the hell away.

His phone rang. Stefan tried to keep an eye on the road as he reached for it, answering the call after seeing that it was just Caroline.

"I'm here."

"Stefan, thank God! I talked to Damon, and I know what happened to Enzo."

"Sky... she must be... I don't even know what to say. I don't know how I can-- every time I close my eyes, I see it play out over and over again in my head. And every time I open them, I see Enzo's blood on my hands. I repeatedly hurt my daughter, over and over again. I put her through hell. She deserves so much better than me for a father."

"Stefan, you listen to me... no matter what you do, Skylar loves you with every bit of her forgiving heart."

"I just killed Enzo... right in front of her, Caroline."

"This one will definitely take time and patience, but I promise you that she will forgive you... eventually, I'm sure of it."

"I'm a terrible father."

"No, you're not! It wasn't you. The real you is an incredible father! Sky will forgive you eventually, but you just have to give her space until she comes to you, okay? I'm sure she'll forgive you in time to still be a bridesmaid at our wedding! Just please come home."

"I can't do that. Not after what I just put my own daughter through."

"Well, I'm not letting you run. Okay? So just tell me where you are. I'm coming to get you."

"No. I can't face you, and I can't face Sky." But then, sirens started wailing behind Stefan's car. "Damn it. I'm being pulled over."

"Stefan..."

Stefan pulled the car over. The siren stopped and a police officer approached his car.

"Hands where I can see 'em! Step out of the car, now!"

But, as soon as the officer saw Enzo's blood coating Stefan's hand, he wasted no time in handcuffing the newly-turned human, who could still hear Caroline through the phone.

"Stefan? Stefan! Stefan?"

---

Skylar refused to look at Enzo's body for another second, but she also couldn't bring herself to bury him. So, she just left him out there and closed the front door so she didn't have to see him.

As she started making herself a cup of coffee, she heard someone whispering things to her, but there was no one there. As the whispering continued, Skylar frowned in confusion.

"Love... Skylar Salvatore... help me. Sky!"

"Enzo?" Skylar span around, hoping and praying to see Enzo stood there, but she saw nothing and no one. Her face fell in disappointment, but it morphed into one of confusion almost immediately after when she heard a knock on door. She wasn't expecting anyone that knew of the house. Skylar walked over and pulled the door open, only to freeze in shock at the person stood there, not expecting to see them at all.

"Mom?"

There, staring at Skylar with such sympathy, stood Valerie.

"Skylar, honey... Caroline called me. She told me what happened... I'm sorry. She said you didn't want to talk to her, and... she's hoping maybe you'll... talk to me?"

And just like that, Skylar's walls came crashing down. Her body shook as she started to cry, practically collapsing into her mother's arms. Valerie held her daughter close to her and rubbed her back, whispering soothing words. Her heart broke for Skylar, feeling helpless in such a situation...

---

Skylar pulled up to Bonnie's house, feeling like she needed Bonnie's comfort more than she needed anyone else's. Valerie promised to stay in town to be there for Skylar until her daughter didn't need her anymore, but she remained at the B&B because she knew that Skylar needed her friend.

The Salvatore heretic made her way up the path, where her eyes met with Bonnie's.

"Bonnie..." Skylar rushed forward and immediately hugged the Bennett witch, who didn't hesitate to hug back tightly.

"You're okay." Bonnie breathed a sigh of relief, even though she knew that Skylar was definitely not okay. "Sky, we lost the only means of killing the devil, and then you texted me that you were coming over to see me. I was glad, because now I can tell you how sorry I am about Enzo. I know sorry doesn't change anything, or bring him back... believe me, I know what it's like to be on the other end of one of these... there's nothing I can say or do." Skylar nodded, her mouth forming a straight line before she held her hand up, showing off her ring. Bonnie's face fell. "Sky..."

"This was a mistake coming here." Skylar whispered.

"No, it wasn't." Bonnie argued, looking up from Skylar's hand. "You are one of the strongest people I know. You came here because you needed a hug, and to have somebody tell you that everything will work out. So, let me give you that."

With that, Skylar hugged Bonnie tightly. Bonnie wrapped her arms around Skylar and gently kissed the Salvatore's forehead. They just stayed there, hugging in silence, for ages... but Skylar enjoyed it so much. It was what she needed.

---

Please don't forget to leave your opinions, tips/advice and all that stuff in the comments, I'll definitely take tips and advice into consideration!
Skyra (Skylar and Nora)?
Skynie (Skylar and Bonnie)?
Skenzo (Skylar and Enzo)?
Others?
Does anyone ship Skylar with Caroline?
Don't forget to vote, share and comment please! Xxxxx
Love you guys!
-L

Next chapter: Damon and Alaric make a deal with an old nemesis that could vanquish Cade and save Ariana.