12 - Prayer For the Dying

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 12: Prayer For the Dying
Word Count: 1671

Ariana was in Alaric's house, when Damon entered and walked over to her.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Sandwich?" Damon offered, holding up a delicious-looking sandwich.

"Don't mind if I do." Ariana took a bite of the sandwich that Damon was holding out to her.

"Okay. Ooh. That's new." Damon motioned to Ariana's ring.

"Oh, yeah. After Kai 'accidentally' melted mine, Jo made me a new daylight ring." Ariana told. "You like?"

"Depends. Does it work?" Damon joked, causing Ariana to crack a smile.

"Well, I'm here, aren't I?"

"Yeah, inside... in the shade."

"I know everyone has their doubts about Jo's magic, but she has an entire month to get stronger and win the merge with Kai, so a little bit of support wouldn't kill anybody." Ariana stated.

"Speaking of killing people." Damon gestured to Kai, who lay in a comatose state on a bed in the same room. "Still counting sheep or whatever the hell you psychopaths dream of?"

"Look, Alaric's gone out of town to get some mystical thingamabob to give Jo an edge, and your job is to baby-sit Kai, not smother him with a pillow." Ariana teased.

"You're not free tonight by any chance, are you?" Damon asked her. "Because I know this little Italian joint that has eggplant so good you actually think you're eating people."

"And I happen to have a weird eggplant obsession." Ariana laughed, causing Damon to smile.

"Perfect! And I'm thinking maybe after that, go the Arthouse Theater. They're playing some pretentious French flick."

"I don't speak French, Damon." Ariana reminded him, but Damon simply sent an adorable look her way.

"Well, not to see the movie, silly. To hide in the back and throw popcorn at the hipsters."

"It sounds fun. I'll be back by six, you can pick me up then." Ariana informed, grabbing her things.

"Where are you even going?" Damon wondered.

"I have way too much free time nowadays, so I got a part-time job at a pub on the other end of campus." Ariana mentioned.

"Ooh, I can already imagine you in your cute little apron." Damon smirked. "Maybe I'll stop by to see you and order a drink."

"If you do, then I'll see you soon." Ariana smiled, before leaning up to quickly kiss her boyfriend. "I can't be late on the first day. I'll see you tonight at six."

And then, she turned and quickly left.

---

Caroline had called Ariana with some very serious information. Apparently, she had wanted to cure her mother's cancer with vampire blood, so she tested it out with another cancer patient. When discovering that the patient had gotten better, Caroline had fed Liz some vampire blood, hoping that it would cure her. But she regretted her decision when the cancer patient that she'd tried to cure came knocking at her door as a vampire.

Apparently, after the cancer patient had been fed vampire blood, he had died. So now, Caroline was panicking that the vampire blood that she had fed her mother would kill her.

After managing to convince her new boss that she has a very serious, very private, family emergency, she was allowed to get off work an hour early, rushing to the hospital.