18 - The Murder of One

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 18: The Murder of One
Word Count: 3982

No one's POV

It was morning. Ariana walked up the stairs, carrying breakfast for Alaric. She knocked on his door and Damon answered it.

"Morning, sunshine."

"Hey, how's Alaric?" Ariana asked.

"Indecent, but fine." Damon shrugged, leaning casually against the doorframe.

"So then, does that mean there were no issues last night?" Ariana sighed.

"Nope. Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No head minds about dead Council members." Damon replied in a rush.

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something?" Ariana wondered, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at him.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid. What'd you bring me?" Damon took the bag from her and sniffed it. "Ooo, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach."

Ariana took the bag back from him, smiling mockingly at him.

"Sorry, honey. Not for you."

"Fine." Damon smirked. "But sadly, Ric's gonna have to miss Gilbert time today. You know, lockdown and all."

"Just take it and give it to him and tell him that I miss him, okay?" Ariana handed Damon the bag of muffins.

"With pleasure. Have a great day, thanks for coming by."

Damon then shut the door. Ariana sighed suspiciously.

---

Caroline, Ariana, Elena were all walking through the woods.

"Alaric Saltzman killed my father?" Caroline whispered, shocked.

"These herbs that Bonnie's giving him, they're healing him and they're keeping the dark side buried." Elena reassured.

"Yeah, and that's supposed to make everything okay?" Caroline scoffed, still wary of Elena since the Gilbert returned to Mystic Falls.

Ariana grabbed Caroline's arm and Caroline faced her, teary eyed.

"I'm really sorry, C, I am. And Elena is, too. But... he's a victim of something supernatural, he didn't ask for this, it just happened to him. Just like Bonnie's mom. I mean, she didn't ask to become a vampire. And neither did Stefan or Nathan or Tyler."

"Or me..." Caroline added.

"Or you." Ariana nodded. "Or Elena."

Elena then stepped forward.

"None of us asked for this, Caroline, but we can't turn our backs on eachother."

Matt then walked up to all of them.

"Matt, hey." Ariana smiled. Matt smiled back.

"Hey. What's with the cryptic secret meeting text?"

"I don't know. Nathan just said to meet here." Elena shrugged.

Stefan, Nathan, and Damon suddenly showed up.

"Where's Bonnie?" Stefan wondered.

"Um, Bonnie's mom bailed on her. Again. So, I think we should leave her out of this one." Caroline muttered.

"What are we doing here?" Matt asked.

"We found some more white oak." Damon informed. "Long story, wait for the movie."