19 - Because

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 19: Because
Word Count: 3368

Stefan, Ariana, and Caroline entered a room in a bed & breakfast in Grove Hill. Caroline picked up a glass angel off the shelf.

"Aw... an angel." She tossed the angel to Ariana. "How cute is this place?"

"Adorable." Ariana tossed the angel over her shoulder, where it shattered on the floor, before she glanced over at Stefan. "You alright there? You seem awfully quiet for someone who couldn't shut up yesterday."

"Yes, she has a point." Caroline added, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at Stefan. "So, you hunt us down in a bar — where Ari and I were perfectly content feeding on the wait staff — so you can whine to us about how your mom is a bitch--"

"What kind of mother doesn't love her own children?" Stefan interrupted. Ariana simply rolled her eyes at his whining.

"Whatever." She said. "So, she spun you a web of lies and couldn't flip your humanity switch back on, and now you wanna eat people."

"Which we are totally down for." Caroline added with a smirk. "So, what the hell are we doing in a B&B in Grove Hill?"

"Well, I figured we could... take a little break." Stefan suggested. He then picked up his phone.

"Who are you calling?" Ariana asked him, but Stefan just held his hand up to tell her to pipe down. Ariana went to snap at him, but was interrupted by Stefan speaking through the phone.

"Hey. Can I get some towels sent up to the room, please? Thank you." He hung up and turned to Ariana and Caroline. "I'm hungry, so I figure we can eat whoever brings them up."

---

Stefan was pouring mini-bottles of vodka into two glasses. Ariana got up from the couch and walked over to Caroline, sitting down on her lap. Caroline smirked at her and started kissing her neck.

"Now what are you doing?" Ariana wondered over to Stefan while still allowing Caroline to kiss her neck.

"Just making us some drinks." Stefan replied, glancing over at the two beautiful girls.

"Such a gentleman." Caroline hummed happily to him while also kissing the side of Ariana's face affectionately, until she heard a knock at the door. "Dinner! Up you get, love."

Ariana complained in protest, but still reluctantly climbed off of Caroline's lap so the blonde could go and open the door. After yanking the door open, Caroline was completely stunned to see Damon standing in front of her, holding three folded towels in his hands and smiling patronizingly.

"Towels!" He held up the three folded towels in one hand, and in the other, he held up a vervain dart-gun, which he used to shoot Caroline several times in the torso. Caroline gasped in surprise and fell unconscious to the floor.

"Damon!" Ariana frowned, jumping to her feet and preparing to flee the scene before she was caught, but Damon vamp sped in front of her.

"How're ya doin', baby?" And then, he shot her with the vervain dart-gun, causing Ariana to gasp in pain and shrink to the floor, falling unconscious.

---

Three days later, the sun was shining into the room through an open window with bars attached to the inside. Ariana awakened on a bed, only to realize that her wrists had been slit while she was unconscious, causing her to bleed out all over the bed. When she looked down at Stefan, she found him sprawled on the floor, half-leaning on against the bed, and with his own blood soaking the carpet around him. And then, Caroline lay beside her, in the exact same situation as she also bled out on the bed.