6 - Best Served Cold

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 6: Best Served Cold
Word Count: 1909

So, a lot had happened. After Lily found out that Valerie was trying to get rid of Julian, she disowned her, leaving Valerie to go and crash at the Lockwood Mansion with Stefan and Caroline. Skylar was tempted go with her, not wanting to leave her mother alone, but she wasn't ready to face her father yet. Plus, she was still mad at Valerie. She also didn't want to get on Lily's bad side, so she stayed with them, leaving her mother alone...

Skylar, however, was thrilled when Julian was resurrected from the Phoenix stone. Despite her mother hating him, Skylar had always had a father-daughter relationship with Julian. Wait until Stefan finds out about that...

So, there she was, laughing, as she watched Julian and Beau fencing in the living room.

Julian jumped over the top banister of the staircase onto the lower step, catching a fencing sword in his hand as he leapt into his sword-fight with Beau.

"Ha, see, Beau, fencing's got to flow!" He swung the sword at Beau. "Like a conversation. I speak. You listen. I speak more!" Beau telekinetically moved a chair in front of Julian to block him, but Julian jumped over it at vampire speed as he looked at Beau with pride. "You've improved. Well done, friend." They continued fighting. Julian vamp jumped on top of the piano, then leapt over Beau.

"Can I have a go now?" Skylar pouted, standing up and skipping over to them. They both turned towards her.

"Now, now, young one. Fencing is no place for a little girl." Julian teased. Skylar sent him a playful glare.

"I'm no little girl, Jules. Some might say I'm a new and approved woman. I'm twenty!"

"Twenty! Blimey." Julian joked, knowing perfectly well that she was still twenty when he last saw her and was just messing with her.

"Moving on..." Skylar continued. "It's the 21st Century now. Men and women have the same rights in most aspects, and some might say... we're even better than men."

"I'd like to see that." Julian chuckled, handing her a fencing sword. "Come on then, young one. Show me what you got!"

But just as they got into the correct stances, they were interrupted by Lily, who had just entered the room, giving them an affectionate, yet exasperated look.

"Gentlemen--"

"Hey!"

"--And Skylar." Lily corrected herself with a loving smile. "Our backyard's not big enough?"

Julian, Skylar, and Beau all turned to face her, looking sheepish.

"Beau insisted!" Julian playfully wrapped his arm around Beau's shoulders and laughed. "Didn't you friend?"

Lily, amused, gave them a stern look.

"Take it outside, please, boys. And Skylar? You shouldn't be getting messed up in their messes. Let the men be men."

"But grandmother! It's so much fun!" Skylar exclaimed, doing the puppy-dog eyes and pouty lip. So, after a moment, Lily reluctantly nodded.

"Oh, alright then. Go ahead. Just be careful, honey."

"You got it!" Skylar grinned happily.

"Well, you heard this ridiculously attractive woman." Julian cut in.

"Come on, Beau! Let's go a few rounds outside!" Skylar smirked, doing some tricks with her sword. "Unless you're afraid to lose to me." But the mute heretic playfully glared at her and made a swipe across his neck, silently saying 'you're going down'. "Catch me if you can!"