7 - My Brother's Keeper

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 7: My Brother's Keeper
Word Count: 4755

No one's POV

Ariana was arranging flowers in a vase at a table, helping everyone get ready for Miss Mystic Falls, when Caroline walked over to her.

"Look, I'm your best friend and I would always want what is best for you, but are you sure that Damon is what is best? Because... I know that Nathan choosing your sister over you did cut deep with you... but I've also noticed how close you and Damon seem lately."

"I don't know what you mean." Ariana muttered, avoiding eye contact as much as possible. "Nathan chose Elena, so I'm moving on from it."

"Moving on with Damon?"

"Not with Damon, C." Ariana sighed, finally turning to face her. "Moving on in general. I can't keep feeling like my heart is being ripped out every time I see Nathan and Elena together, okay? I'm moving on from that pain! It's just... I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense."

"Yeah, I know. But you weren't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into your confused newbie vampire heart." Caroline replied.

"Well, he did and that's exactly what I am. Confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean." Ariana shrugged. Professor Shane walked down the steps and over to Caroline and Ariana.

"Excuse me, I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants."

"You're Professor Shane." Ariana realised as she and Caroline exchanged a specific look.

"Yeah, that's right." Professor Shane nodded. "Professor by day; pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I'm apparently awarding a scholarship."

"Uh, inside by the parlor." Caroline told him. Shane pointed up towards the house.

"Right in here? All right, I'll just follow the scent of hairspray and world domination."

Caroline laughed quietly. Shane walked away. Ariana turned and looked at Caroline.

"He's the one who told Damon how to break the hunter's curse."

"He's also the one that has Bonnie so obsessed with practicing magic that she bailed on pageant prep." Caroline mentioned.

"And now he's judging Miss Mystic Falls?" Ariana wondered. "Jack of all trades or kind of creepy?"

---

While Caroline had headed inside to get more glasses for the drinks table, Ariana had been put in charge. So, she was standing outside the house with Caroline's clipboard in hand that had been passed to her until Caroline returned. Three girls walked towards her with flower arrangements.

"Woah, stop!" Ariana called to the girls. The girls came to a halt. "Sorry, girls, to have to stop you like this, but... Caroline's headed inside and has given me the flower chart until she returned, and those flowers go in the back, not the front. In the nicest way possible, of course..." The girls turned around and walked off. "Thanks, guys!"

Ariana looked down at Caroline's clipboard again, when Klaus walked up to her.

"Now, how did I know I'd find you at the helm of the ship?"

She turned to face him and smiled.

"I'm doing it for Caroline. My bossy, perfection of a best friend can't do all of this alone, after all."

"You're an outstanding friend to have, love." Klaus smiled. "I was wondering what time I should pick you up tomorrow."

"Uh, what for?" Ariana asked, genuinely confused.