15 - The Dinner Party

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 15: The Dinner Party
Word Count: 2771

No one's POV

Ariana was sitting on the sofa, reading one of Johnathan Gilbert's journals.

With the dying embers of the fire at Fell's Church, the scourge of the vampires had passed. And though war raged all around us, our town was safe from the demons of the night. Or so we thought. The monsters we drove to their fiery deaths had begat new monsters.

Flashback

At the Gilbert house of the past, Johnathan Gilbert, Honoria Fell, and Thomas Fell were enjoying dinner and some wine. A man walked across the yard, outside, and up towards the house.

The Fells and Johnathan heard a creaking board being unsettled by footsteps. They looked over at the window.

"Did you hear that?" Honoria whispered. Thomas walked over to the window and peered out. There was no one in sight. Thomas picked up a knife from the table.

"Stay here."

"No, Thomas." Honoria muttered worriedly.

"It's all right, dear, the vampires are all dead." Thomas reassured.

"Yes, Honoria... they burned in the church. We're safe now." Johnathan added. Thomas walked out of the house, leaving the front door open behind him. Honoria still looked worried as she turned towards Johnathan.

"Please, Johnathan. I'm worried."

"Very well. I shall go, too." Johnathan got up from the table and walked outside. Thomas was in the yard, searching around, with the knife pointed out in defense. Johnathan walked towards him. "I can prove there are no vampires." Johnathan pulled out the vampire compass and held it out. Nothing happened. "See?"

For a moment, Thomas looked relieved. But, the arrow of the compass started spinning around and around at an incredible speed. Johnathan looked down at it and tried to follow the direction the arrow was pointing. When he turned back around, Thomas had disappeared.

"Thomas? Thomas?!"

Johnathan walked down from the porch and looked around. Suddenly, behind Johnathan, Thomas' body fell from the sky. Johnathan turned around and looked down at the body. Honoria had come out onto the porch and ran towards Thomas.

"Thomas!"

"No, stay inside! Get back in the house!" Johnathan yelled. The vampire rushed onto the porch and grabbed Honoria. He bit into her throat and drained her of her blood. She fell down on the floor, dead. Johnathan watched as the vampire slowly turned to look at him.

I knew I was about to die. You can not run from a vampire. I saw the vampire who killed me. I recognized him. It was Nathan Salvatore. After running away, he'd returned different. Very different. He'd returned to Mystic Falls as a monster.

Nathan walked over to Johnathan, blood running down his chin, bit him and killed him.

End of Flashback

Ariana looked up from the journal with a shocked expression. She looked out the window at Nathan, who was on the dock.

Outside, Nathan was skipping stones across the lake. His phone rang and he answered it. Damon was on the other end.

"What's going on?"

"Well, I showered. I shaved. Had breakfast. Very relaxed."

"That makes one of us."