20 - Do Not Go Gentle

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 20: Do Not Go Gentle
Word Count: 2465

No one's POV

Caroline and Ariana were walking through the gym hall which was being decorated for the 20s Decade Dance. Caroline had a clipboard and was in charge of the preparations.

"So, Alaric is trying to pull himself together, why is that a bad thing?" Caroline shrugged.

"I just... I wish there was something I could do." Ariana sighed, picking up a chandelier. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?"

"You know what, if Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should have shown up to do it herself!" Caroline groaned, handing the chandelier to a passingby student. "Just no!" Caroline then saw Matt and Jeremy sticking stars to the ceiling. "What are you doing? You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down."

"Trickle, duh!" Matt exclaimed to Jeremy. Caroline turned back to Ariana.

"Look at them all bromancy."

"Yeah. Matt got him his old job back at the Grill." Ariana smiled. Caroline smiled back.

"That was nice of him."

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." Ariana mentioned, causing Caroline to give her a look.

"You sure it has nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?"

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it." Ariana muttered, surprised that Caroline had found out so soon.

"Aww, what are best friends for?" Caroline grinned. "So, who are you bringing to the dance?"

Ariana wrapped a feather boa around her neck.

"Um, well, I'm kind of wanting to stay in a 'no boy zone' until I figure things out with Damon." She mumbled. "So... um, I know that Elena is going with Nathan, and you are going with Tyler... oh, I'm glad that he's back in town, by the way... but, uh, I guess I could just go with Bonnie."

"Hm, Bonnie has a date." Caroline replied, and Ariana was definitely surprised. But, she still grinned excitedly.

"I'm so happy for her! She has been sort of avoiding guys altogether since... Jeremy. But it's great that she's getting back out there! Who is she taking?"

"Jamie called and wanted to see her, so she asked him." Caroline informed. "So here's a thought, why don't you ask Klaus? I mean, I personally hate his guts because I believe he's a vengeful demon, but I know that he is somehow all 'sunshine and rainbows' around you! So, how about it, Ari? Klaus is available, and I know that he is just waiting for you to ask him!"

"I can't ask him on a date." Ariana frowned. "I've kind of been avoiding him..."

"Why?" Caroline wondered.

"Well, what did you expect me to do? I feel like I betrayed him! I knew of his feelings, and I still went and made out with Damon! And, remember how I told you that Klaus asked me to leave town with him, and I agreed? Well, if I see him, I'm going to have to tell him that I can't leave with him."

"Why is that such a bad thing?" Caroline scoffed, quickly looking down to check things off on her clipboard.

"What am I supposed to say? 'Hi, Nik. Sorry that I've been avoiding you, I just couldn't bring myself to face you because I'm worried that I broke your heart for making out with your enemy! But, listen, I can't leave town with you after all because I need to stay and figure out my feelings for Damon, as well as my feelings for you, but my love for Damon could be the real thing. Sorry, bye-bye!!'" Ariana mimicked herself. But Caroline stared at her in shock. "What? What did I say?"