13 - Bringing Out The Dead

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 13: Bringing Out The Dead
Word Count: 1761

No one's POV

"Morning." Ariana greeted in her house once she saw Alaric.

"Thought we had aspirin."

"Behind the vitamins." Ariana then noticed a nearly-empty bottle of whiskey and an empty glass next to it on the kitchen counter. Ariana chuckled at the sight of it. "You're hungover."

"Yeah, sorry about that. It was a bit of a weird night." Alaric mentioned.

The doorbell then suddenly rang. Sheriff Forbes was waiting outside, holding a plastic evidence bag. Ariana opened the door and walked out onto the porch, followed by Alaric.

"Liz, hi." Ariana greeted the woman that she saw as a... technically third mother. "Is everything okay?"

"This is an unconventional conversation we're about to have. So I hope you'll protect me on it." Sheriff Forbes spoke. Ariana and Alaric, both confused, nodded. "I assume you both heard our medical examiner was murdered the night of the Wickery Bridge fundraiser."

"Yeah. Brian Walters." Alaric nodded. "Why?"

"We've been investigating. Someone drove this stake through his heart." Sheriff Forbes held up the evidence bag with the stake in it.

"That's one of ours. I mean this is one of a set from your parents' lake house." Alaric remembered, glancing at Ariana as he addressed her parents' lake house.

"That's why I'm here." The Sheriff sighed. "I haven't told anyone but forensics ran it for prints and found only one clean set." She glanced at Ariana. "Yours."

"What?!"

---

Damon and Stefan were walking through a meadow and Damon had his phone on speaker so that both him and Stefan could speak to Ariana over the phone.

D: "So you're the prime suspect, huh?"

Ar: "She doesn't think that I did it. She's just trying to find out why somebody used one of my family weapons to kill a council member."

D: "Well, why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons?"

Al: "You're on speaker phone, dick."

D: "I'm just sayin' first suspects usually the right one. Don't get so defensive."

S: "Just shut up, Damon."

Al: "Brian Walters was killed days ago, alright? I didn't show Meredith this stuff until last night!"

Ar: "It wasn't Meredith."

S: "But Brian Walters was her ex-boyfriend and Alaric saw them fighting that night."

Al: "It's not Meredith. I refuse to believe that your luck with women is that tragic."

S: "Who else knows about your vampire weapons stash?"

Al: "Who doesn't? Got weapons everywhere, here, the school, my loft, Damon's car."

D: "It's Klaus. It has to be, he's screwing with us."

Al: "Hey!! No. We do not jump to conclusions. We do not know for sure whose to blame, so I would advise you not to think of N-- Klaus right away."

D: "Ooh, since when are you so defensive about our Monstrous Mikaelson?"

Ar: "Since now. Shut up."