13 - This Woman's Work

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 13: This Woman's Work
Word Count: 2726

Caroline was awake in a hospital bed, and Stefan was explaining what had happened in the last few hours. As expected, Caroline was extremely concerned and freaking out.

"What do you mean they don't want to come out?!"

"Valerie said the babies want to stay where the magic is." Stefan informed hesitantly. "And right now, that magic is in your blood, which they're getting a steady stream of."

Caroline took a deep breath as she processed that information.

"So what do we do?"

"Well, Valerie's plan is to channel enough magic outside of your body so that the babies are drawn to it. That way, they don't resist when the doctor tries to pull them out." Stefan stated.

"Funny." Caroline scoffed irritably. "I didn't hear one medical word in all of that. Could someone just call Bonnie? I feel like she should be here. And Elena needs to be called so she and Nathan can see the babies over Facetime!"

Stefan gave her a comforting and reassuring look.

"I will call Bonnie now, and I'll call Elena after the babies are out. And I promise this will all be fine."

"So, where's Dr. Valerie now?" Caroline wondered petulantly. Stefan once again hesitated before answering her question.

"She's getting help."

"What do you mean 'help'?" Caroline wondered sceptically, causing Stefan to grow awkward.

"Uh... Nora, Sky, Mary Louise, and Beau..."

"Oh! I mean, I trust Sky, considering she's kind, and the daughter of my boyfriend. But the others? I don't want to put my life and the lives of these babies into the hands of the people who tried to kill me!" Caroline exclaimed. "I just want Sky! Sky is all I need to help me, not the others. I trust her!"

"So do I, but despite how strong Sky is, she won't be strong enough against the two siphoner babies." Stefan replied with a hint of pride in his eyes when he mentioned how strong his daughter was. "She'll need the help of the other three."

"Fine." Caroline gave in.

---

The Heretics cast a spell to help Caroline deliver her babies safely by drawing them toward their magic, while nurses were busying themselves around Caroline.

"Phesmatos sequitos in lucema infantesi mortuous. Venis ad vitur. Venis ad essendier. Factuo partis viventia. Phesmatos sequitos in lucema infantesi mortuous..."

"Scalpel!"

"Venis ad essendier..."

"About to make the incision!"

"Phesmatos sequitos in lucema..."

"Vitals are steady!"

"Infantesi mortuous. Venis ad vitur. Venis ad essendier. Factuo partis viventia..."

Suddenly, Beau's neck started to bleed, and he looked horrified when he touched his neck and found that his X-shaped scar was bleeding. When the Heretics noticed that, they all looked scared.

"Oh, my God, Beau!" Nora panicked.

"It's his scar." Valerie realised, horrified. Skylar looked over at her mother, her blue eyes wide with fear.

"Rayna has the Phoenix sword..."

---

Skylar urgently called Bonnie, who, after a number of rings, answered.