9 - Cold as Ice

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 9: Cold as Ice
Word Count: 4034

Night had fallen at some point shortly after Lily's death, and Damon, Stefan, and Nathan (who had returned home temporarily to specifically say goodbye to his mother) were silently carrying Lily's coffin to the family plot where they had dug a hole to bury her. They joined Nora, Skylar, and Valerie, the latter of whom had a bouquet of white flowers in her hands.

Elena didn't really feel like she should go to the funeral considering she didn't even like Lily, so she stayed away to catch up with Bonnie and Caroline before she and Nathan would leave for their travels again in the morning.

Damon looked unimpressed.

"Well, this it? This the whole funeral party?"

"What about Julian? Where is he?" Stefan wondered. Nora looked uncomfortable, though she gave them an unamused look.

"I haven't heard from either of them in days. I sided with Lily, or did you forget?"

Skylar, seeing how discomforted her fiancée looked, grabbed her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, causing Nora to sand her a grateful smile.

"It's just us." Valerie sighed. She looked over at the coffin holding Lily's deceased body.

"Beau couldn't bring himself to say good-bye." Skylar informed. "I almost couldn't either, if I'm honest..."

Damon walked toward Lily's casket to place it in her grave.

"Heh. All right. Let's get her done."

"Wait." Nathan stopped him. "We should say something."

"No, we shouldn't." Damon rolled his eyes.

"Yes, we should." Skylar argued, appalled. But she didn't move forward, not wanting to be the first to express her feelings. Nora, sensing that, stepped forward first before making her eulogy.

"When I was a girl, I loved my mother deeply. She loved me, too, until she found out about my little siphoning problem. If she only knew that was just one of the things that made me different. When she turned her back on me, I thought I'd never find that kind of love again. You proved me wrong. Thank you, Lily."

Nora paused before walking away, and Damon impatiently gestured for the others to get on with it.

"Next!"

Valerie walked over to the coffin to say her goodbye.

"You knew me at my brightest and my darkest. No matter what my mood, you always saw the light in me." Valerie reached out and touched the wooden coffin lid with her hand. "I'll miss you, Lily."

Valerie nervously held up her small bouquet of white flowers, and Stefan smiled weakly at the gesture.

"Cream violets. You remembered."

"Of course I did." Valerie murmured softly, causing Stefan to nod in appreciation.

"Thank you."

Skylar watched her parents' interaction with confusion, but quickly looked away when Valerie turned to her.

"Honey? Your turn."

"Do I have to...?" Skylar whispered sadly, not knowing if she'd be able to get through another goodbye to Lily. Valerie sent her a sympathetic look and walked closer, placing a hand comfortingly on her daughter's arm.

"I think, if you don't, you'll regret it later."

So, with a hesitant nod, Skylar approached Lily's casket, placing a hand on it and peering down at it with glassy eyes.