20 - Blood Brothers

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 20: Blood Brothers
Word Count: 6192

Stefan's POV

I lay on the small bed in the cell that I was put in, spluttering and covered in sweat. I suddenly felt a flashback enter my mind.

---

Flashback

Damon and I hid behind the bush, watching lots of men capture the vampires in town and lock them up, throwing them in carriages. Katherine and Madeline were in the same carriage, the carriage that mine and Damon's eyes were glued to.

"We have to get to the church. They're waiting." I heard a man shout, though I couldn't see who it was that said that. I grabbed Damon's arm, making him look away from Katherine and Madeline's carriage to me.

"Circle around that way. I'll distract them." I told Damon. "Go." So Damon hurried off.

So, to distract them, I did the first thing that came to mind.

"Over here!" I yelled. "There's another one! Quick! Help me!"

A bunch of men followed me into the woods. I hid behind some large bushes and waited for them to pass by me, before running back the way I came.

When I returned, I saw that Damon had stolen the keys from one of the men and he was trying to unlock the carriage. I ran over as Damon swung the carriage door open, revealing Katherine and Madeline.

"We don't have long. We need to get them to safety, and then find a way to contact Nathan, he needs to come home and help us protect them." I explained.

We both reached into the carriage. I scooped Katherine into my arms and held her bridal style, while Damon did the same with Madeline. We both laid the girls on the ground and started to take the masks off of their faces and untie the tight ropes around their wrists.

When we heard the sounds of the men shouting, we hurried even faster.

Just as I finished untying the ropes around Katherine's wrists, I heard a gunshot. Looking up, I saw that it was Damon who was shot as he was flung back away from Madeline.

"No!" I quickly stood up and rushed to Damon's side. "Damon. Damon! No..." I knew that there was no chance of saving him, which made my eyes water.

As I heard the men get very closer, I quickly glanced back at Katherine and Madeline, and rushed to their sides. It'll be harder to get them to safety now as there was two of them and only one of me. But, to get me some more time, I spotted a gun lying on the floor by me.

I picked up the gun, but before I could shoot, I was flung back as another gunshot was heard. I then realised that it was me who was shot as I groaned in terrible pain, realizing that, like my brother, there was no chance of saving me.

I managed to slowly turn my head in Katherine's direction, and saw that her eyes had opened. She turned her head to look at me too, and opened her mouth to try and speak. And she did manage to.

Katherine said the four words that would be the last words that I'd ever hear.

"I love you, Stefan."

The men had arrived and picked up Katherine and Madeline again. The girls were thrown back into the carriage and darkness covered my vision.

End of Flashback

---

"It's so hard to see him locked up like this." I heard Elena mutter. My back was facing the cell door, away from her. Her and Ariana had come down to visit me. Damon had come down earlier on.