13 - The Day I Tried To Live

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 13: The Day I Tried To Live
Word Count: 3012

Ariana was busy adding frosting to the last of the delicious cupcakes that she had made in honour of Bonnie's birthday. After licking the remaining frosting off of her fingers, Ariana stared at the cupcake-display stand that she had created all by herself. She was definitely proud of her cupcake skills.

"Wow. Great job, baby." Damon complimented as he entered the kitchen.

"Thank you." Ariana grinned widely as Damon walked over to her and planted a quick kiss to her cheek, causing Ariana to playfully pout. "That's it? I spent all day making these cupcakes in honour of Bon's birthday, and that is my reward?"

"So clingy." Damon joked, smiling lovingly as he planted a much-longer kiss to Ariana's lips. "Better?"

"Much." Ariana giggled. "Thank you."

"Happy Birthday, Bon-Bon..." Damon sighed, staring down at the cupcakes sadly. And then, Elena walked in with Nathan right behind her, and both of them were holding groceries.

"Hey." Nathan greeted.

"Hey, guys." Ariana responded happily, taking a seat on the kitchen counter.

"Ooh..." Elena eyed the cupcakes. "You think we could sneak one before the party?"

"You take one of these before party time and you're grounded for life." Ariana threatened her sister playfully, going back to admiring her hard work.

"It's worth the risk, momma." Elena smirked, snatching a cupcake, causing Ariana to dramatically gasp in horror, before wrinkling her nose up in disgust.

"Please never call me that again, sis."

"Yeah, I heard it, too." Elena chuckled, munching on the cupcake.

"Come here." Nathan muttered, wiping some chocolate from Elena's lip with his thumb, popping it into his own mouth. 

"Ugh, you guys are too cute." Ariana commented, smiling at Elena and Nathan. She was their number one fan.

"Not as cute as us though." Damon argued, holding out his cupcake to his beautiful girlfriend.

"Very true." Ariana agreed with a wide smile, taking a bite of the cupcake that Damon was holding out for her.

"Hello?!" A voice suddenly called out, interrupting the moment that both couples were having.

"Is that Kai?" Ariana wondered, recognising the voice that belonged to her most recent admirer.

"That's impossible." Elena frowned. "Because why would he--"

"He didn't. He's all merged, he's packed, and he's on his way to Portland!" Nathan spoke up, his voice growing louder so that Kai could hear. But moments later, Kai himself entered the kitchen with a goofy smile.

"Whew, I forgot how massive this house was." Kai saw the beautiful cupcake display, causing his smile to widen. "Yum, cupcakes!" He then noticed Damon and Ariana stood very close together, causing his smile to drop. "Princess, I thought I'd made my instructions very clear."

"Yes, Ana told me about how you want her to dump me so you two can run off, elope, and adopt seven little babies." Damon sarcastically rolled his eyes. "Not gonna happen, you psycho. Leave her alone."

"I'm just trying to steer her in the right path. With me." Kai shrugged nonchalantly. "And I will."

"Kai, why don't you leave both of them alone and tell us what you are doing here?" Nathan snapped. So, Kai dropped the subject and turned towards Nathan.