16 - The Downward Spiral

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 16: The Downward Spiral
Word Count: 2702

Ariana walked through Caroline's side of the dorm room, which had been completely stripped of all of her belongings. She was on the phone with Stefan.

"It's like she never lived here." She opened and closed several drawers, all of which were empty. "How's her house?"

"Totally empty, Caroline took everything but the damn doors off the hinges."

"So what? She just flips her humanity switch, came back to the dorm, took all of her clothes, and thank you notes, and just left town? That makes no sense."

"This is coming from the girl that burned her house down."

"Okay, look. I'm just gonna look around campus, maybe someone's seen her. Just let me know if you find anything, okay?"

"Alright. I will."

They both hung up the phone. Ariana was standing silently in the dorm room all alone when suddenly, the door quietly opened behind her as Bonnie slipped into the room unnoticed.

"Looks like you could use a friend."

Ariana turned at the sound of her voice, stunned.

"Oh, my god. Bonnie?"

"I've just visited Elena. Now it's your turn." Bonnie smiled.

"H-how are you--?" Ariana stammered, shocked.

"Alive?" Bonnie shrugged. "You think I'd be used to this part by now..."

Ariana rushed over to Bonnie and happily hugged her, thrilled and relieved to have her friend back.

---

Ariana and Bonnie had been joined by Elena. The three were catching up, talking and laughing, before they were interrupted by Bonnie.

"Caroline!" Elena jumped to her feet. "Um, you're here."

"And you're perceptive." Caroline snapped, shoving past her and Bonnie without even a glance and set her bags on her bed.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Ariana asked, confused and concerned.

"Starting over. New everything!" Caroline took the items out of her bags. "New sheets, new clothes. Hey, I even got us a new blow-dryer." She pulled a hair-dryer box out of the bag and turned to face them before finally noticing Bonnie's presence. "Oh, my god. Bonnie's back. Hi. I thought you were trapped in 1994?"

"I got out." Bonnie told, but Caroline simply shrugged in response. She turned back to her bags, not showing the least bit of interest in Bonnie's return.

"Uh..." Elena stuttering, not knowing what to say. "We-we've been worried about you, Care."

"You mean, you were worried about those around me, like if I killed them?" Caroline scoffed. "Okay. Funny story. You remember Liam? I ate him! And he was delicious. I mean, you know how cute guys just naturally taste better?"

"Liam's dead?" Ariana muttered, shocked.

"So I was feeding, and then that little voice inside my head that tells me to stop? He never piped up."

"So, you didn't kill him because it would be inconvenient?" Elena rolled her eyes.

"Elena, I shut off my humanity. I didn't turn into an idiot. The last thing I want to do is give you a reason to ruin my life." Caroline took a large gulp straight from a champagne bottle.

"It's so weird. It's like she's Caroline, but she's not..." Bonnie spoke up.

"Oh, Bonnie, how we all just missed your commentary." Caroline sighed. "Anyway, in return for my good behavior, I want a year where I don't have to feel any pain or grief or remorse. You're not gonna lock me in a cell and dry me out, and you're definitely not gonna try to trigger some latent emotion, hoping to snap my humanity back on."