1 - Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 1: Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take
Word Count: 4535

Caroline was sitting on a park bench in the Town Square, where she was writing in her diary like she promised Ariana she'd do.

Dear Ari,

A few weeks ago, you said goodbye and told us to write everything down so you'd feel like you didn't miss anything when you woke up. Bad news first: Damon said the best way to keep his mind off you was to help Alaric grieve. So, in Damon-fashion, he kidnapped Ric and flew him to Europe for a guy-getaway. I'm sure you can imagine how that's going. Obviously, we didn't send them there without a chaperone.

So, Damon's watching out for Alaric, Bonnie's watching out for Damon, and I don't know exactly who's watching out for Bonnie. Matt will officially be Deputy Donovan next week when he graduates. As happy as I am for him, a big part of me wishes my mom was here to see it.

The Town Council gave her a bench. I've been visiting it, hoping I'll miraculously start missing her less. I keep thinking that if I can heal, I can move on with my life, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Elena and Nathan up and left to God knows where. They text and call, but they don't do it alot. It seems like they're in the Honeymoon phase, not being able to keep their hands off of eachother. I can't wait for their ACTUAL wedding and honeymoon! But yes, they are doing great. They promised to visit soon, but they are not telling anyone where they go as they travel to a different place every month.

When you wake up, Mystic Falls will look nothing like you remember it. Lily thought her family was ready to live among humans. She was wrong.

The truth is, their impulsive nature put every citizen in this town in danger, so Stefan negotiated a deal. We got time to clear out the residents, and in return, anyone who trespassed was fair game for the Heretics. We all gave up a lot to get Lily to agree, but I think Stefan sacrificed the most.

- C.Forbes

---

One of the Heretics by the name of Skylar Salvatore was writing in her own diary, writing about her life with her 'family' since her return to the living world.

Dear Diary,

I'm in hell. It's hard to imagine a place worse than where I've come from, but by some spectacular miracle, I found it.

In the weeks since I've arrived, three things are clear: the food is literally made of poison, the air smells like a plague, and everyone wants to know what everyone else is doing.

I don't fit in here, nor do I want to. This is not the world I imagined. My mom tries to make me see the bright side, but I think she is getting annoyed with me, considering I won't shut up asking her about my father. I assume he's dead, but I still hold some form of hope that he is like me. Immortal, and alive. My mom doesn't seem like the kind of girl to sleep with a human.

The only good part of this stupid town? The love of my life. The only thing keeping me from fleeing on my own.

Nora Hildegard, the gorgeous woman that she is. But the rest of them? Ugh. There is my mother, Valerie. Yes, I love her to pieces, but she doesn't make it easy on me. She makes loving her sound like such hard work. And there's my grandmother. She sequestered us away in some musty abandoned house. Stoic Beau; Nora the beautiful; the devious but incredible Mary Louise who just so happens to be my best friend; Valerie, the mother who expects too much from her bastard daughter; and Malcolm, my grandmother's pet, the brown-noser.