17 - Know Thy Enemy

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 17: Know Thy Enemy
Word Count: 3213

No one's POV

Isobel was at the door. She was looking at Ariana and Elena. Jenna was stunned.

"Hello, girls. It's nice to see you again." Isobel spoke. Jenna looked at the Gilbert twins.

"Again?"

"So you're the woman who's dating my husband." Isobel had turned back towards Jenna. "I need to speak to the girls. May I come in?"

"N-n-no. Don't... don't invite her in." Elena stammered. Isobel sighed.

"I need to talk to you, girls."

"No!" Ariana snapped, moving forward and slamming the door in Isobel's face. Both Ariana and Elena looked at Jenna, who was crying.

"You knew she was still alive? Ric? John? Did they know?"

"We can explain everything, Jenna." Elena whispered.

"No."

"No. Jenna, please!" Ariana begged. Jenna ran upstairs. Ariana and Elena went after her.

"Jenna, please. Wait. Jenna, please wait!" Ariana exclaimed. Jenna's went into her bedroom and slammed the door. Ariana and Elena were outside, at the door.

"Jenna, you have to talk to us. We... we need to explain what's going on." Elena said.

"Jenna, please." Ariana added.

Jenna was sitting on the floor, crying.

---

There was a knock on the door the next day.

While Elena was upstairs, sulking over the fact that Jenna wasn't speaking to them, Ariana went and opened the front door, revealing Alaric.

"Hey." Alaric greeted. "Is Jenna up yet?"

"She won't come out of her room." Ariana replied.

"We're gonna have to fix this, Ari." Alaric sighed. Jenna suddenly came down the stairs, followed quickly by a sad-looking Elena.

"Hey." Ariana greeted.

"Jenna--"

"I don't want you here, Ric. You need to go." Jenna cut Alaric off.

"Okay, listen. I can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now." Alaric muttered.

"Rage and betrayal would pretty much cover it." Jenna snapped, putting on her jacket and taking her bag.

"Where are you going?" Elena spoke up, desperate to get Jenna to talk to her.

"I'm going to stay on campus. I have a thesis to write, and I don't want to be in this house." Jenna responded.

"Jenna, please just stop." Alaric pleaded. "Let us explain to you exactly what is going on." Jenna ignored him and turned to her nieces instead.

"Girls, I need you to go to the Lockwood's today and accept the Historical Society's check for your mom's foundation."

"Okay, but, Jenna, please just--"

"I don't have it in me to hear any more lies from either of you." Jenna interrupted Ariana.
She left and closed the door.

John came out of the kitchen.

"Let her go. It's better that she's not here, what with everything that's going on, but maybe had you been a little more honest with her from the beginning, this--"