2 - Never Let Me Go

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 2: Never Let Me Go
Word Count: 2826

Two college students, Amanda and Ryan, were standing outside the closed-off border of Mystic Falls and were filming themselves on a handheld video camera. There was a sign on the plastic fence that had been set up that read 'No trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted.'

"Are both cameras on?" Amanda wondered, turning towards Ryan.

"First one's on, and second one is rolling." The two crawled under the fence and into Mystic Falls, where they ended up right in the cemetery. The young woman giggled as the man turned the camera so it was facing him to discuss what they were doing. "So, a few weeks ago, the town of Mystic Falls was completely evacuated. The story is that some natural gas leak made it all uninhabitable, but there's been so many rumors, whispers, and just strange things happening in the night, unexplainable things."

"Okay, tone it down, Blair Witch." Amanda sarcastically rolled her eyes. The man turned the camera back onto her.

"Let's see. What'd you bring me, huh?"

Amanda started pulling different devices out of her backpack.

"Full spectrum light, EMF reader, and a thermal camera, courtesy of Uncle Fred's graduation money."

The man turned on the thermal camera and started recording her. She showed up on the screen as a bright yellow/orange/red light.

"Look how hot you are."

"You're hilarious." Amanda rolled her eyes again as she held up the EMF reader and started waving it around. "Okay, so this thing's supposed to beep if there's some spirit or something supernatural present."

"You get this thing off an infomercial or something?" Ryan muttered skeptically.

They started walking toward a mausoleum, and once they got closer, they were almost at the Salvatore crypt, where Ariana's body had been placed inside with a strong protection spell keeping anyone from being able to enter. As they got closer, the EMF reader started to beep.

"Wait, it's working!"

"Whoa! It's creepy, but kind of awesome." The two approached the crypt, the EMF reader still beeping all the while, and Ryan attempted to open it. "It won't open. No lock. It's stuck." They walked around to the window, where they found a window and looked inside. "It looks like there's a coffin in there or something." He turned the camera back on Amanda, who was trying to fix her EMF reader, which had gone silent. "Amanda?"

"It's not working."

Ryan held up the thermal camera and pointed it at her, and was stunned to see two people standing behind her and staring at the back of her head, causing him to gasp.

"Amanda!"

"What?"

"There's something behind you!"

"Are you really trying to scare me?" Amanda turned around, but when they both looked back, they didn't see anything. Suddenly, Amanda was yanked upward and into a tree by an invisible force. Ryan looked around, panicked.

"Amanda? Amanda!"

Suddenly, Amanda was suspended in the air, as though someone was holding onto her ankle. A female voice was heard laughing before Amanda was dropped onto the ground, wheezing loudly. The thermal camera picked up the warmth of her blood, which was covering the side of one of the tombs. Ryan rushed over to Amanda, and when he saw the wound on her neck, he immediately started to apply pressure to it with his hand.

"It's okay. I'll get help, okay? I'll get help!"

Before Ryan could finish, someone yanked him backward out of the line of sight of the camera. Screaming was heard until someone else picked up the camera and held it up to reveal that Skylar had attacked him.