12 - Postcards from the Edge

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 12: Postcards from the Edge
Word Count: 2390

Caroline was laying in bed, writing in her journal to Ariana.

Dear Ari,

I realized I haven't written in a while. I'm sorry. Apparently, pregnancy eats at your brain.

Anyway, we all miss you. Stefan's finally bouncing back from his days in that Phoenix Stone hell. But, he's worried about Damon... a lot more so than usual.

- C.Forbes

---

Bonnie, Skylar, and Nora were in Alaric's office at Whitmore, where they were kneeling on the floor. They were surrounded by lit candles, and below the Phoenix sword was a map of the United States for their locator spell, upon which they'd placed the postcard Skylar and Nora received from the Huntress.

"Phesmatos invenira venatrixos isto gladulla onyx. Phesmatos invenira venatrixos isto gladulla onyx."

They looked down and found that the black sand on the map had made a line from Virginia to Cincinnati, Ohio. Bonnie looked at Skylar and Nora with a skeptical look.

"Ohio? Are you sure this isn't a prank or something?"

"It's not a prank. A ruthless killing machine is on her way to hunt us all down." Skylar muttered nervously.

"But why announce herself with a cryptic postcard? Isn't the element of surprise a basic principle of good vampire hunting?" Bonnie questioned.

"Not for Rayna Cruz." Skylar sighed. "Rayna has a taste for taunting her victims. Like a cat nibbling the legs off a spider."

"Let's get going, guys. The sooner she's dead, the better." Nora sighed. Bonnie and Skylar both nodded in agreement, before Skylar suddenly jumped up with a smile.

"I call shotgun!"

---

Nora, Skylar, and Bonnie were on their way to Ohio to find the Huntress. Nora was driving the car, while Skylar sat in the passenger seat, and Bonnie sat in the back. Skylar was eating a small bag of cheese puffs, which she shared with Nora.

"I have a question!" Bonnie piped up from the back. "If Rayna was chasing you through Europe in the 19th century, how exactly is she still alive?"

"She was spelled to be a vampire huntress by shamans. They created that sword for her and imbued her with extraordinary strength." Nora stated. "Why shouldn't they give her a very long life to go with it?" She smiled and giggled as she reached over and grabbed another handful of cheese puffs from the bag.

"Hey, do you remember that reading from class last week?" Skylar asked the two girls in the car with her. "You know, the one about those fragments of Native American myths?"

"Ah the Everlastings." Bonnie confirmed.

"The Everlastings." Nora repeated with a nod. The girls all giggled as though they had an inside joke, and Skylar continued to munch on her cheese puffs as the girls giggled.

---

Bonnie, Skylar, and Nora had just arrived at a Cincinnati psychiatric facility where their locator spell had led them to find the Huntress. Bonnie looked around incredulously as they walked into the entrance hall before making a sarcastic comment.

"Nuthouse for the criminally insane. Sounds promising."

"She is a deranged serial vampire killer. Maybe karma caught up with her?" Skylar shrugged.