1 - Growing Pains

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 1: Growing Pains
Word Count: 3236

No one's POV

Ariana gasped for air as she woke up. It was the next morning. Stefan was sitting on the end of her bed, watching her. Nathan and Elena were stood together, right beside the bed. Damon was sat on the window seat. Ariana seemed confused about what was going on around her.

"Elena?"

"Hey. I'm right here..." Elena rushed forward, taking her sister's hand in her own.

"You've been in and out for hours." Stefan added.

"Wh-what happened?" Ariana muttered.

"You were in an accident." Nathan informed. Ariana's mind flashed back to the accident, before she started to panic.

"Oh my God. Matt! Is he--?"

"Alive?" Damon interrupted. "Ask Stefan. The hero."

"He's fine." Stefan sighed.

"Thank you. I thought..." Ariana was pretty much at a loss for words. "How did you--?"

"Save you?" Damon cut in again. "He didn't."

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Meredith Fell made a choice." Stefan stated.

"She used Damon's blood to heal you." Nathan carried on.

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Ana." Damon continued. Just those words were enough for Ariana's breathing to go heavy as she panicked.

"Am I dead?"

All four vampires in the room said nothing, confirming Ariana's suspicions.

"No! That wasn't supposed to happen!"

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie, she says she's stronger than ever, there might be something that she can do to help you." Nathan reassured his ex girlfriend.

"No, the only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition." Damon pointed out.

"We have all day before she has to feed, Damon!" Elena snapped at him. "That's a day to exhaust every possible way out of this."

"There is no way out of it. We all know the drill. You feed or you die. There is no door number three." Damon rolled his eyes. Ariana glared at him.

"Then, I'll die! Just like I was supposed to!"

That seemed to snap Damon out of whatever nonchalant act he was putting up. A hint of concern formed in his piercing blue eyes.

"No. I won't let you die!" Elena argued, worried for her sister's life.

"We'll try everything." Nathan added gently.

"Us three won't let you die." Stefan whispered, gesturing to himself, Nathan, and Elena.

And then, a quiet voice came from the window seat.

"Neither will I..." Then, Damon got up and stormed out to try and find a way to save Ariana's fragile life... without her becoming a vampire.

---

Ariana was alone. She was looking at herself in the mirror. Her breathing was heavy as she ran a hand over her face. She touched her teeth to check if they had sprouted fangs yet.

Her hearing had intensified. Hearing the electricity running through a lightbulb, she stared down at it, wanting the buzzing of electricity to shut the hell up.