21 - Before Sunset

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 21: Before Sunset
Word Count: 3048

No one's POV

The next morning, Caroline entered the school at 8:02 as a part of the dance committee to help clean up after the Decade Dance.

"Hello?" Caroline walked into the cafeteria. Rebekah was alone, cleaning up the mess from the dance. "Where's Matt?"

"He bailed. Got called into work at the last minute." Rebekah spoke.

"Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?" Caroline scoffed, annoyed because of her large dislike for the female Original.

"Yes, and you're late. Clean up committee started at eight o'clock." Rebekah reminded. Caroline, however, just rolled her eyes.

"It's like 8:02."

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized." Rebekah then walked past Caroline and emptied out the trash.

"I'm sorry about your mom. I mean, I know you, like, hated her and everything, but still... I'm sorry." Caroline muttered, before shooting Rebekah a look. "And I am only saying that on Ari's behalf. She doesn't want me to hate you, apparently."

"Aww. She's looking out for me because I'm her best friend." Rebekah said. That made Caroline shoot her an angry glare.

"No, I am Ari's best friend!"

"Not for long if I have anything to say about it." Rebekah smirked.

Caroline groaned and huffed angrily as she turned around and stormed off to go clear up the dance's mess elsewhere. Rebekah smirked proudly, happy that she got under Caroline's skin. Who knew that Ariana was the way to do that?

Deciding to get started on the gym, Rebekah walked out into the hallway.

And that was when... none other than Alaric Saltzman came around the corner, causing Rebekah to stop dead in her tracks.

"You're supposed to be dead."

"I am!" Alaric replied smugly, smirking evilly.

Rebekah rushed at Alaric, but he threw her against the locker. He was about to stab her with the white oak stake when Caroline rushed out of the cafeteria and pinned Alaric to the locker. Rebekah took the stake and stabbed Alaric with it.

Caroline and Rebekah looked at each other as Alaric took the stake out. When he finally got it out, he realized that they were both gone.

Outside, Caroline rushed to her car and pulled out her keys and fumbled with them. She saw Alaric's reflection in her car window and dropped her keys. Alaric then snapped Caroline's neck and she fell to the ground.

Then, Alaric dragged the unconscious Caroline back towards the school as his flesh started to smoke and burn off.

Rebekah watched him enter the school.

---

Ariana draped a white cover over an armchair. Jeremy, Elena, and her poured paint into a paint trough and began to paint the room. Nathan walked in.

"Going darker, huh?"

"It's the only color we had." Ariana responded.

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead guardian's room in the middle of the night." Jeremy stated.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this so soon." Nathan said.

"We have to keep moving." Ariana shrugged.