2 - Alive and Kicking

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 2: Alive and Kicking
Word Count: 1300

No one's POV

Klaus, Ariana, Avery, and Hayley arrived at the werewolf encampments and were looking around for any wolves who may still be around.

"I told you, this place is deserted." Avery sighed.

"No, their scent is fresh. They're hiding." Klaus said. "Which means somewhere nearby, we will find the remnants of your pack."

"...And then what? It's not exactly like they're going to welcome us. Hayley, maybe, but us? If there's one thing these people hate more than vampires, it's hybrids! They won't just shun us, they also won't let Ariana near. She's a vampire, too, remember? Why did we bring her when she can get killed here because of us?" Avery stated.

"What they hate is their lack of power. Hence the willingness of their brethren to deal with that witch in exchange for rings! But, she hasn't gotten to your lot yet, so, we need to get to them first and ensure they align with us." Klaus explained.

"Awesome. All we gotta do is find them." Ariana muttered.

"A task I leave to Avery." Klaus smiled. "Go on!" Avery looked at Klaus in confusion. "Well, you're a hybrid now, with heightened senses unlike anything under the sun... besides me."

Hayley rolled her eyes. Avery sniffed the air. She seemed to smell something, and closed her eyes for a moment to focus. Klaus watched her curiously, but after a moment, Avery opened her eyes and frowned.

"This is stupid."

"Your people need a leader! You are their queen!" Klaus exclaimed.

"I am a mess! Hayley would do so much better as their leader. I cry all day, I feed all night. All I can think about is how much I miss my daughters." Avery said.

"Do you think you're alone in that pain?" Klaus questioned.

"Have you even thought about them once?" Avery snapped.

"I have not stopped thinking about them!" Klaus defended. "When it pains me, I seek comfort in the idea of what I will do to those who would harm them."

"Guys, knock it off! We have more important things to be doing!" Ariana snapped. Klaus sighed and gestured toward an overturned chair, over which what looked like a man's jacket was laying. Avery rolled her eyes and reluctantly sniffed the sleeve to get a scent.

Avery followed the scent and eventually found the direction in which it led. She started walking toward it, Hayley and Ariana followed, and Klaus smiled proudly.

---

Oliver and the rest of the Crescents in the Bayou were gathering up their belongings in a clearing while Hayley, Ariana, and Klaus watched them from in the woods while they determined how to proceed.

"So, Jackson is MIA and Oliver seems to think he's the Alpha." Hayley muttered.

"They're not going to listen to either of us." Avery added. "I'm a hybrid, and Hayley might as well be one, too, thanks to her bracelet."

"The crescent mark on your shoulder did not disappear when you became a hybrid." Klaus reminded Avery.

"He's got a point. You're still a crescent, Hayley. Go on, talk to them." Ariana encouraged.

Nervous, Avery slowly made her way toward the group of Crescents as Klaus, Ariana, and Hayley followed behind her. They all turned to face her and defensively formed a circle around them.

"The hell you three want? Why the hell would you bring a vampire into werewolf territory?" Oliver snapped, growling at Ariana. "You've made it so much easier to kill you."

"Hold your tongue, or I'll tear it from your gaping mouth." Klaus threatened, standing protectively in front of Ariana. Both Avery and Hayley shot him a look.

"We didn't come here to fight, Oliver. Our pack has been divided by people that want us to be their slaves. What we need right now is a leader. Someone who will reunite us and make us strong again. Someone who will fight for our pack." Avery explained. "If you let me, I can be that person."

"You think we can trust you? You're not one of us! Hell, you're not even a wolf, you're a blood-sucking vampire parasite!" Oliver exclaimed. Klaus rolled his eyes dramatically.

"You want to say that again and see what happens, Oliver?" Hayley growled, rushing to stick up for her twin.

"You tough girl, you're gonna attack me? In front of all them? You'll just give them another reason to say yes to Cassie and her moonlight rings. Yeah, they would rather follow a witch than your sister." Oliver sneered at Hayley. "Me? Hell, I'd rather die than follow either of you."

Furious, Klaus vamp-sped over to Oliver and knocked him flat on his back before he stomped on his chest with his boot.

"Hey! Let him go, Klaus!" Ariana shouted.

"Avery needs to learn about the art of politics, love." Klaus said to her, before turning to glance at Avery. "You gain support by killing your detractors!"

"They may not like me very much, but these people, including Oliver, are my family. Let him go. Now." Avery demanded. Klaus looked around at all of the wolves who were watching intently and smiled before releasing Oliver.

"You see? There's your queen. Powerful, fearless, and, unlike me, merciful." Klaus turned to address Avery. "These people need to show you more respect. How you handle them now is up to you."

Klaus turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" Hayley spoke.

"I'm going to find the witch." Klaus replied. "Seems I need to educate her as to what she may or may not do in my city."

---

Klaus and Elijah moved to the courtyard, where Avery, Ariana, and Hayley were leading in the Crescent wolves who weren't aligned with Cassie/Esther.

"Take any of the rooms on the first floor." Ariana spoke to the werewolves. Despite being sworn enemies with them, due to her being a vampire, the werewolves were actually developing a liking for her. Ariana had always been too lovable for her own good, and was now happily befriending a bunch of werewolves who could kill her easily. Oh well.

Klaus finally walked over to speak to the three girls while Elijah lingered a few feet away.

"Are we running a kennel now?"

"We'll handle them." Avery sighed.

"Our family is under siege. It is not the time for guests." Klaus said.

"If they're not with us, they're with the witches. You asked me to step up. This is me stepping up." Avery stated.

"Well, it seems I'm a good influence on you after all." Klaus smiled. Elijah watched the three of them from afar. "I don't see Oliver amongst them. Am I to assume you finished him off?"

"We made a deal. He'll pledge his loyalty to Cassie, report back, and tell Hayley, Ariana, and I everything that he learns." Avery informed. Klaus smiled proudly.

"Well done!" He turned to leave. Elijah, up on the balcony, thought about what to do. Avery, Ariana, and Hayley led several werewolf girls to their new bedrooms as Elijah descended the stairs to leave. Avery turned back to some more wolves from her pack who had entered the compound.

"Hales, Ari, you guys mind showing them the way?" She asked. Hayley and Ariana both smiled and shook their heads. Avery smiled back as a thanks at her twin and new friend.

---

Please don't forget to leave your opinions, tips/advice and all that stuff in the comments, I'll definitely take tips and advice into consideration!
Damiana? Stariana? Klariana? Others?
Don't forget to vote, share and comment please! Xxxxx
Love you guys!
-L

Next chapter: A new witch arrives, and Ariana realises that her escape from the drama and chaos just might have doubled the second she entered New Orleans.