11 - Our Town

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 11: Our Town
Word Count: 2875

No one's POV

Ariana was training while Alaric held the punching bag for her.

"So, what's got you all worked up?" He spoke.

"I didn't really sleep last night." Ariana shrugged nonchalantly, her mind travelling to when Damon kissed her.

"Yeah, me neither. Probably something to do with dying..." Alaric sighed. Ariana glanced at him.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine, I'm fine. I think the ring, however, is running low on batteries." Alaric mentioned.

"Yeah, that's another reason why Jeremy has to get out of town. If those rings have a shelf life, he is not protected, neither are you." Ariana then punched the punching bag with all the strength she could muster.

"Nice swing. Very powerful." Alaric complimented.

"I'm just channeling frustration. I need coffee." Ariana walked over to the kitchen counter and took off her gloves to make herself some coffee.

"I guess Damon's compulsion worked, Jeremy was packing when I left the house, going on about his new school in Denver." Alaric stated.

"Have you talked to Damon today?" Ariana asked Alaric, who shook his head.

"No. Why?"

"No reason..." Ariana looked down, taking a small sip of her coffee.

---

Running late, Ariana climbed out of her car, when her phone suddenly rang. Seeing Caroline's name pop up on her front screen, Ariana smirked and declined the call. She didn't want to accidentally spoil the surprise! Because, although Caroline would forever be physically 17, it was her 18th birthday! They were going to celebrate, whether Caroline was a vampire or not.

She'd gotten a bunch of messages from Caroline all morning. Things like:

Bestie❤️xxx
Hey, good morning! Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
Have you heard from Tyler? I haven't seen him all day. Do you think he's with Klaus? Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
Do you know why no one's answering their calls? Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
Why am I being ignored...? Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
Did I do something wrong??? Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
If you hate me, please just say so! Xx

Bestie❤️xxx
I can fix it, I promise! Xx

After that, Caroline had given up and stopped texting. Ariana felt so bad for ignoring her, but she was worried she'd end up spoiling the surprise.

She went to grab some shiny steamers and pink glitter from the trunk of her car to decorate Caroline's locker with, but paused when she saw Tyler approaching her. Ariana glared at him.

"I can't talk to you."

"I know you're upset..." Tyler sighed. "But--"

"Upset?" I scoffed angrily. "You almost got my little brother killed! Can you at least tell me what you're planning to do about your sire-bond to Klaus?"

"There is nothing that I can do about it, Ari! That's the point!" Tyler exclaimed. "I just wanted you to know that I understand why you can't be with me. I now understand that you're in love with someone else, and I'll never stand a chance against Nathan. You two have an epic love that most people envy. I envy that you and I will never have that. And my sire-bond to Klaus isn't helping at all. It's simply pushing you further away from me... the sire-bond proves that, even though I want to put you first, I can't. I'll never be able to. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just wanted you to know that."