5 - Coming Home Was a Mistake

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 5: Coming Home Was a Mistake
Word Count: 1716

At Enzo's safe house, Enzo was tied up on the floor and awaking from a vervain nap. Skylar was sitting on the couch, reading through her Grimoire, when Enzo's eyes weakly locked on her.

"Oh, don't mind me, love. Is something wrong?"

"I'm fine." Skylar snapped. She was fine, but she was just concerned about her friends... they'd just lost someone really important to them.

"Well, so Damon murders Tyler Lockwood in cold blood and you're fine with it. Of course you are, you never met the young Mr Wolf. But it is adorable how worried you seem, all because of your friends and how they are feeling." Enzo stated. "Set me free, Skylar. Set us both free. I'll take you on a proper date. Anywhere you'd like. Paris... you can fix everything that is broken inside of me. You can fix us."

"Your wrists look a little raw. I'll help you out." Skylar stepped forward and untied Enzo.

"Ah... Skylar Salvatore, you are my saving grace." Enzo vamp sped to the door but found that the doorway had been magically sealed, keeping him from leaving. "You spelled the cabin? You've been keeping a secret from me. Are you a witch again?"

"I'm actually not." Skylar informed truthfully. "I still don't have my magic, but it doesn't mean that I can't use a magical object. This is a Dark Object on loan from the Armory. It's called a Flame of Imprisonment."

"Well, aren't you fancy?" Enzo murmured, quite impressed.

"It traps supernatural beings in the space where it burns. I can come and go because I'm the one who lit it." Skylar shrugged. "And I'm the ONLY one who can put it out. And I won't... unless you turn your humanity back on."

---

The next day, Skylar was on the phone to Caroline, who was ranting to her.

"It was awful! Like Damon's desperate for us all to hate him."

"Sorry I wasn't there. I wanna be there for you guys, but I didn't actually know this Tyler guy, so it'd just be weird. So, Enzo's keeping me nice and occupied."

"Please tell me it's going better than it did yesterday."

"It's worse, if that's even possible. Drying him out didn't work. Starving him didn't work. I played the guitar. I told him our history. It's like talking to a brick wall. What did it for you, when you had your humanity off? What made you break free?"

"I had to face my biggest fear. That I wasn't worth loving anymore, and that my mom would be ashamed of me. I had to be reminded how much she loved me, and then I had to want to live up to that. Is that helpful?"

"Yeah... it is."

"Keep me posted... and don't worry about not being here. You're right; you didn't even know Tyler. But you'll still get a chance to be there for the rest of us if that's what you want when this is all over."

"Yeah... when will that be?"

"Soon. I hope."

"I hope so, too."

"Dead friend problems?" Enzo piped up once Skylar had hung up.

"More like dead stranger problems." Skylar corrected. "You seem to forget that I never met this Tyler guy. Still... my friends are going through a lot."

"My heart bleeds for you. All this trauma. The burden of always having to protect everyone. Why don't just take me off your plate, hmm?" Enzo suggested with a small smirk.