10 - Hell Is Other People

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 10: Hell Is Other People
Word Count: 1438

A/N: Okay, I'm pretty sure we ALL know that the episode with Damon in his little hellscape was absolute torture for us, too, and seemed to go on forever... so, of course I don't want to write his whole journey in here, so this chapter WILL feature Skylar as she is our main character, but it will just be a small filler chapter where everyone is trying to pull Damon out of his personal hell and everything.
Feel free to skip if you want to 😂
But if you don't skip, you'll be able to see Skylar roasting Matt ;)

---

In the world of the living, Stefan (who had already been brought out of the phoenix stone and had received a load of hugs from Skylar), Matt, Skylar, and Caroline (who was now visibly pregnant) were gathered around Damon's body, which had the Phoenix Stone resting on his chest, while Bonnie cast the spell to return his soul to his body.

Luckily for everyone, Skylar had a surprisingly forgiving heart and had eventually believed Bonnie when she said that she wasn't involved in Stefan's and Valerie's plan to kidnap Mary Louise, so Skylar had forgiven her.

Matt, Skylar, Caroline, and Stefan all looked restless and worried, and Bonnie opened her eyes and sighed in frustration when Damon's body remained still.

"The spell's not working."

"Did you do it wrong?" Skylar frowned, before a plan popped into her head. "What if you channel me? If we basically merge our magic together, you might have enough power. You can channel both my vampire and witch side to get him out. You could teach me the spell and I could help you."

"That might actually work." Bonnie realised with wide eyes, shocked that she hadn't thought of that sooner. Skylar grinned in delight, but before she could take Bonnie's outstretched hand so the Bennett witch could channel her, Matt stepped between the two of them to stop them.

"Wait, what if something goes wrong? Maybe it's not the channelling that needs to be done, maybe you just need to take a break and try again later, Bonnie. You've been trying all day, and letting this witch be channelled by you is honestly ridiculous."

"This witch? I have a name, 'young boy who thinks he's all that'." Skylar snapped, offended. She'd always found Matt strangely irritating, even if everyone seemed to love him so much. "You're about as useful as a knitted condom. You don't know anything about magic, so how would you know if Bonnie channelling me would work or not? That's right, you don't, so kindly move out of my way, please."

"She has a point, Matt..." Caroline couldn't help but comment, and even Bonnie and Stefan nodded in agreement, causing Skylar to smirk smugly. Matt glared at Skylar for humiliating him, but stayed silent as he stepped aside. Skylar knelt beside Bonnie with a concerned expression as, before Bonnie could channel her, the Salvatore girl spoke up in a quiet and concerned tone.

"Bonnie... I don't get it. Why couldn't you do the spell on your own? We pulled my dad out, no problem. What's different now?"

"Because he's not ready yet." Stefan spoke up, hearing Skylar's quiet question. "When I was in there, I could barely remember who I was, and then I was hit with visions and tests. But the worst part of hell isn't what you're going through... it's the sliver of hope that you can actually get out on your own."

"How come we had no trouble reuniting your soul with your body?" Bonnie wondered, confused.

"Because eventually, I submitted to the kind of suffering that just breaks you. Knowing Damon, he'll do anything he can to avoid that kind of pain, which means we may never be able to get him out." Stefan stated.