1 - The Return

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 1: The Return
Word Count: 8266

Ariana's POV

Someone had taken my stuff that I left at the school, and someone had taken Elena's things, too! What a childish game. Apparently, Caroline was in the hospital! She had gotten into a car accident. Tyler lost control of the car while driving, Matt and Caroline were both also in the car. Caroline was injured the worst...

It worried me deeply. Straight after I checked on Jeremy, my next stop was the hospital.

Elena and I walked into our house. I walked over to the bottom of the stairs.

"Jeremy? You up?" I got no answer.

Instead, I heard groaning coming from the kitchen, and a small thud. Cautiously, Elena and I walked in. What shocked us was that John lay there on the floor, surrounded by blood.

"John!" I ran over with Elena right behind me. Carefully, I removed the knife that was dug into his abdomen. "Elena, call an ambulance! Quickly!" So Elena whipped out her phone to call an ambulance.

"B-b-b..." John stuttered weakly. I furrowed my eyebrows and leant in closer to hear him.
"B-b-behind you..."

So, startled, I span around, but no one was there. I slowly rose to my feet, helping Elena up too. I grabbed the bloody knife that John had been stabbed with, and raised it for protection.

I grabbed Elena's hand, keeping her close to me, as I slowly inched away from the kitchen and through the house to see if the intruder was still here.

I thought that I saw two figures in our living room, but no one was there. Feeling a whoosh of air behind Elena and I, I span around, taking Elena with me, but no one was there.

"W-who is here?" Elena sounded almost terrified. I didn't blame her from all of the drama we had been in lately.

And then, another whoosh of air. The door then slammed, making us spin around once more. The intruder, or intruders, had left.

"It... it was probably just some of the tomb vampires who escaped the sounds of the device." I reassured Elena.

"Jeremy..." Elena whispered. Realization dawned on me and my head snapped in the direction of the stairs.

"Jeremy!!"

Elena and I sprinted upstairs and into Jeremy's room. He was lying on his bed, with his eyes closed, not moving...

My sister and I hurried over to his bed, close to tears, and shook Jeremy, hard, but he just wouldn't wake up.

Until, Jeremy's eyes snapped open and he gasped for air.

---

The ambulance had arrived to get John, not letting anyone in or out of the house until they'd left. But, just as they were about to wheel John out on a stretcher, Nathan appeared at the door. A doctor stopped him.

"He's okay." I reassured the doctor from where I stood at the top of the stairs. "He's with me." So the doctor let Nathan walk past, and he walked up the stairs to me, hugging me tightly.
A small smile appeared on my lips as I rested my head on his chest. "Stefan's already here. Come on."

I grabbed Nathan's hand and led him into Jeremy's room.

When we entered, Stefan was crouched in front of Jeremy while Elena stood off to the side, looking very concerned.

"What happened?" Nathan wondered, looking from me, to Jeremy, to Elena, to Stefan.

"He said that Anna gave him her blood. And then he took these pills." Elena informed, looking over at us.