4 - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 4: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Word Count: 3813

No one's POV

Ariana was talking to Caroline on the phone.

"Please tell me I wasn't out of my mind leaving Damon in charge of Vampire Amnesia 101."

"What did he say exactly?"

"One text: 'So far, so good.' Which, in Damon speak--"

"--Means that they probably devoured a troop of Girls Scouts by now."

"Caroline!"

"I'm kidding... kind of. Although it's not uncommon for patients with retrograde amnesia or other traumatic brain injuries to turn volatile."

"Okay, Dr Forbes. Since when do you know so much about amnesia?"

"It's possible I studied up on my chem, biochem, applied microbio, molecular bio, and Grey's Anatomy — the real one and the television show."

"You did all that for Stefan and Nathan?"

"Of course I did! I'm also trying to impress Dr Maxfield. I figured if I could get closer to him, i.e. into his biology class, maybe I could figure out why he covered up our roommate's murder by vampire, and it's also possible that I have a study buddy." Caroline entered Dr Maxfield's lab, where he and Jesse were. "Hi, Dr Maxfield. Are you ready to go study, Jesse?"

"Jesse? Dr Maxfield's incredibly hot, funny, and miraculously single lab assistant?"

"I'm dragging him to our hometown graveyard bell-ringing ceremony."

"As in creepy first date?"

"As in a study date. While I'm there, I might as well ring a bell for Tyler and me considering our relationship is on its death bed. Will I see you there? You could bring Stefan, and Elena could bring Nathan. I mean, it is ironically called 'Remembrance Day'."

"I hope so, I really do. It just depends on how Stefan and Nathan are handling the whole download of their dark and stormy pasts."

"All right. Well, I'll talk to you later." Caroline then hung up, most likely to leave on her 'study date' with Jesse.

---

Ariana and Elena entered the Mystic Grill together, where everyone was taking it in turns to toast their dead relatives, when the Gilbert twins caught sight of all three Salvatore brothers sitting nearby together, clinking their glasses together. Ariana and Elena approached them.

"And there I thought catching up on nearly two centuries would be a drag." Elena spoke.

"Remind me of your name again." Nathan murmured, squinting his eyes slightly at her as if trying to remember her. Elena looked a little hurt that the love of her life couldn't even be bothered to remember her name.

"Elena..."

"Elena. Right." Nathan nodded, before turning to Ariana. He smirked and casually looked her up and down, and he didn't even try to be subtle about it, either. "And you are Ariana, right? I once addressed you as 'Ana'?"

"Yes, it's Ana." Ariana confirmed, avoiding eye contact with her ex boyfriend awkwardly.

"Of course. I'd remember the name that belonged to such a pretty face." Nathan openly flirted, looking proud about it. Elena let out a silent gasp, tears welling in her eyes at the sight of Nathan flirting with someone else right in front of her. Ariana shot her sister a guilty look.