11 - Things We Lost in the Fire

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 11: Things We Lost in the Fire
Word Count: 2531

Damon was standing around the unconscious bodies of Stefan, Skylar, and Caroline and the near-dead bodies of Matt and Bonnie. Damon looked around to realize that he was in fact in the real world.

"No..." He walked over to Matt, who was also laying on the floor unconscious. "Donovan. Hey, wake up." Damon bit his wrist and put it to Matt's mouth to heal him. "You do not get to die. Donovan, drink." As Matt woke up, Damon pulled back his wrist and looked over at Bonnie, who was still sitting on the floor with her back to the wall, a large bloody smear above her from where her head slammed into it. "Bon!" He made his way over to her, bit his wrist, and put it to her mouth. "Bonnie. Bonnie! Oh, I'm so sorry." Bonnie coughed as she woke up. "I didn't know where I was. I didn't know I was out--"

Just then, Skylar staked Damon in the back and knocked him out.

"Sorry, uncle Damon. You're in need of a time out."

---

Later, Damon woke up chained to the railing of the staircase by his wrists. He looked up at his chains and sighed.

"Oh, yup. I saw this coming."

---

Caroline's baby shower was in full swing, and Alaric, Matt, and Tyler (who had returned home just because he was invited) were blindfolded with baby bath towels and were about to start a game to see which of them could put a fresh diaper on their baby doll the fastest. One of the guests started the clock for the race.

"Ready, set, GO!"

The rest of the party-goers cheered excitedly as the men raced to beat each other in who could do it the fastest. Caroline and Skylar watched from the other side of the room.

"Thank you for inviting me, Caroline." Skylar mentioned. "This seems like a lot of fun!"

"Well, you did help me out when your 'family' kept me hostage, so I guess you're not all bad." Caroline replied with a smile. Skylar smiled back.

"Thank you... I think."

They turned back to the men and their diaper competition, and Caroline started looking worried and anxious.

"This is a nightmare. In T-minus a few short weeks, these babies are popping out of me and being handed over to him." She gestured toward the boys, where Alaric was trying to beat Matt and Tyler in the game. "Their only parent. A man who's hardly inspiring any confidence..."

Just then, a bell was heard, and a guest called them to stop.

"Time!"

The boys took off their blindfolds, and when Alaric saw that he won, he fist-pumped excitedly.

"YES!"

Caroline smiled and looked proud when she saw that Alaric managed to diaper the baby perfectly.

"Huh!"

The girls and Alaric watched as Matt and Tyler gaped in shock when they saw their results: Matt had put the diaper on the babies head, and Tyler had accidentally popped the baby's head off the doll entirely.

"That's terrifying. You're never babysitting. Neither are you. Ever."

Alaric stood to his feet, and Caroline smiled happily as she walked over to congratulate him.

Over at the table, Matt was still looking at the baby doll whose head he covered with the diaper.

"I made a helmet!"