20 - Kill 'Em All

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 20: Kill 'Em All
Word Count: 2225

A/N: Sorry I couldn't upload a chapter yesterday! I was at a friend's house all day and night ❤️

---

Now that Bonnie had checked herself out of the Mental hospital, she and Skylar both decided that it would be best to go and visit Virginia again together. So, that was what they did.

The two girls walked down the main hallway up to a nurse at the front desk.

"Hi." Skylar greeted. "We're here to see a patient of yours, Virginia St. John."

"And what is your relationship to the patient?" The nurse wondered.

"She tried to kill us." Bonnie responded dryly.

---

Skylar and Bonnie were speaking with Virginia, who was behind glass.

"We don't have a lot of time. And we need answers. Your sister Alex is hell-bent on having me open that vault. We need to know what's in it." Skylar stated. Virginia seemed a bit more confident in herself.

"Well, that's the question everyone's been asking since 1882... when my great-grandfather first managed to open it."

"What's in there?" Bonnie asked. Virginia did not look at either of them.

"What's in there?" Skylar repeated Bonnie's question with more determination.

"It's not a what. It's not a who. It's what it does to you. It strips away your compassion. It takes away your empathy, your capacity for love. Eating away at your soul, until all that remains... is darkness." Virginia stated. "My great-grandfather was only in there a few moments. My sister Yvette has been trapped in there for four years. And I can't imagine what she's been twisted into in that time."

"No one can survive four years sealed in a vault." Bonnie pointed out.

"I said the same thing. Except Alex can hear her, through the walls, crying to her for help. Whatever's inside that vault, it wants out. And you have to promise me, you won't let Alex set it free." Virginia stared Skylar and Bonnie down with determination.

"We promise." Skylar sighed.

---

Skylar was entering the cabin. Rayna was on the floor in front of a burning fire in the fireplace, crumpling up a piece of paper.

"Good-bye, Desmond."

"See the crazy train has moved topside." Skylar spoke up. "Is that my shirt?"

"Considering I'm giving you my life, I figured it qualified me for an upgrade from the storm cellar." Rayna shrugged.

"Personally, I would've negotiated for the penthouse suite in Paris and dinner at the best restaurant in town where I would've ordered one of everything and had the most expensive bottle of wine and champagne." Skylar smirked.

"And when all the names are in the fire, you'll have a whole lifetime to do all of it." Rayna responded. Bonnie walked over in front of the couch towards Rayna and the fireplace. Hundreds of papers were spread out all around Rayna.

"Guess I don't understand what you're getting out of this. I mean, not to sound ungrateful, but you're willing to die? For me? Just doesn't make any sense."

"That's because you haven't lived seven lifetimes beyond your own." Rayna reminisced about her first life. "That's what I never understood about vampires. You seek out immortality like it's some kind of gift. Everything that mattered to me, love, family, happiness, I had all of that the first time, until it was taken away from me, and I've spent the last seven lifetimes longing for it." Rayna threw another crumpled piece of paper into the fire. Sadness began to spread across her face as she remembered her father and his love for her. "I'm ready to be done on this earth. I want to see my father again. I want to know love again. That's what I get out of it. Peace."