4 - Memory Lane

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 4: Memory Lane
Word Count: 5894

No one's POV

In Nathan's dream

Lockwood Mansion, 1864

Stefan and Katherine, and Nathan and Madeline, were dancing.

"Look who found his dancing shoes." Madeline joked before Nathan tried to kiss her. Stopping him, Madeline giggled. "Ah. No touching, Mr Salvatore. Those are the rules."

"I thought you didn't believe in rules." Nathan pointed out, smiling lovingly. Damon was watching the pair from the side of the dance floor. Nathan glanced at him. "My brother is still upset that you chose me to escort you."

"Well, Damon needs to concede that his younger brother is a better dancer. You deserve some daytime with me, too." Madeline replied, also glancing at Damon with a twinkle in her eyes. "Looks like he found someone to occupy his time."

Ariana appeared. She looked at Nathan.

"Ana..." Nathan smiled at the sight of Ariana.

"Nathan, don't..." Madeline stopped Nathan from moving towards his girlfriend. Ariana left with Damon. Confused, Nathan followed them.

"Ana!"

Nathan opened a door and arrived at the Mystic Grill. Ariana was at the pool table.

"It's your turn." She held out the cue stick in Nathan's direction. Nathan smiled and started towards the table, but Damon walked in front of him and joined Ariana at the pool table.

"Be prepared to lose." He kissed Ariana. Madeline appeared in her 1864 dress.

"It hurts, doesn't it?"

Nathan looked back at Ariana and Damon, and had to admit that they did look amazing together. Happy together.

"Now you know how I feel. Don't fight it, Nathan. You loved me once. You can love me again." Madeline murmured.

Nathan was suddenly in 1864 again, at the Lockwood Mansion.

"I love you, Nathan. We'll be together again, I promise." Madeline kissed him.

Out of Nathan's dream

Nathan gasped awake in bed with 'Ariana' sleeping next to him with her head on his chest.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Hey... yeah, it's just a bad dream. Go back to sleep." Nathan responded quietly, but then realisation flooded him. Ariana didn't spend the night...

Nathan shot out of the bed at vamp speed. It was not Ariana... but Madeline. Madeline smirked over at him.

"Madeline..."

"You have to admit, I am getting better at this." Madeline said. "It was easy to get inside of your head. Have you completely forsaken your nature?" Nathan rushed over to her but she pushed him away. "Are we really gonna do this again? We both know I could rip you to shreds and do my nails at the same time."

"What do you want?" Nathan demanded.

"I wanted to see you." Madeline shrugged. "I missed you, Nathan. Indulge me for a little while, please."

"Why are you back in town?" Nathan wondered.

"Three reasons: you, partially Damon, and... you." Madeline held up three fingers as she listed them off. "You know it's the truth. Deep down inside that gorgeous body of yours, there's the Nathan that fell in love with me, too."