19 - Man on Fire

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 19: Man on Fire
Word Count: 2665

No one's POV

"Breakfast, Professor Salvatore?" Ariana placed a tray of food in front of Stefan.

"Oh, no, no, no, no. I see what you're doing." Stefan commented.

"What am I doing?" Ariana chuckled.

"Distraction tactics. Stay focused." Stefan smiled. "So... psychology, sociology, and anthropology share the assumption that...?"

"Scientific methods can be used to understand human behavior." Ariana finished the sentence for her brand new tutor.

"That's very good, as in verbatim." Stefan approved. "Which means that I need to ask you more difficult questions."

"Thank you for volunteering to help me study." Ariana mentioned.

"You're welcome." Stefan responded kindly. And then, Bonnie and Elena entered the room together.

"Hey. I'm sorry we're late. What did we miss?" Elena asked.

"Just that Stefan's the tutor from hell." Ariana joked.

"Unkind. Take that back." Stefan glared playfully.

"I'd rather not." Ariana laughed, only to get a pillow thrown at her by Stefan. She gasped dramatically, throwing it right back at her.

"Well, I'm surprised that you're up for studying, Bonnie." Elena changed the subject, sitting down beside her sister. "You know, considering the other side... falling apart."

"She's in denial." Ariana whispered to Elena, who nodded in agreement, but Bonnie heard it.

"I'm not in denial! The other side is disintegrating. As the anchor to the other side, I'm only alive as long as there is an other side. I'm perfectly aware of the threat of my impending death. There is nothing I can do about it. It's called acceptance, fifth stage of grief. Look it up."

"Definitely in denial." Stefan noted, causing Ariana to laugh.

"Look, Bonnie. I've already lost you once." Elena reminded. "We're not doing this again. It's not an option, okay? Not to mention what's gonna happen to Alaric and your grams and everyone else over there. So, what are we gonna do?"

"Fine. If you guys promise to stop hovering, I'll ask Liv if she has any witchy ideas." Bonnie sighed. "Besides, don't we have bigger problems with those Travelers trying to take over Mystic Falls?"

"Oh, no. Damon's already on that." Stefan informed, and that definitely caught Ariana's attention.

"He is?"

"Did I say Damon? What I meant to say was George."

---

Stefan, Ariana, and Elena (who were now joined by Nathan, too) all sat in a restaurant, studying, while Bonnie had walked over to talk to Liv at the bar since Liv worked there. When suddenly, Enzo approached the four studying vampires sat at the table.

"What are you doing here?" Nathan asked him.

"I can't join my friends for a cup of tea?" Enzo shrugged.

"Damon, your friend, singular, isn't here, and we're a little busy right now." Stefan said, but Enzo had already slid into an open seat at the table. "But by all means, have a seat."

"No need to be rude. I've come here for a chat." Enzo rolled his eyes. "Ariana, darling, perhaps Caroline told you I've been searching for someone I once knew, a woman named Maggie."