6 - The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 6: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Word Count: 3450

No one's POV

Entering her dorm room to find that nothing had changed warmed Ariana's heart tremendously. Her empty top half of the bunk bed that she shared with Caroline, her empty chest of drawers and closet. Nothing had been moved.

The best part of it was seeing her brunette sister and her blonde best friend, waiting for her to arrive. And as soon as Ariana stepped foot inside, she was pulled into the arms of both girls, announcing that they'd never let her leave ever again.

Ariana smiled and laughed as she gladly hugged them back.

"It's okay, I'm back... I'm home now..."

But once they pulled away from the hug, the mood seemed to dampen as Ariana asked the question she had, for some reason, been dreading.

"Where's Damon?"

---

"What do you mean you don't want to see him?"

Bombarded with questions by Caroline and Elena, Ariana was starting to feel overwhelmed. She stopped unpacking for a brief second to turn towards the two.

"Stop twisting my words, guys! I never said I didn't want to see him! It's just..." She let out a tired sigh. "He left me... he promised me that he would be right beside me as we got out of the Other Side together, but he broke that promise! He left me, and our goodbye was spent with me literally talking into thin air! Whenever I see him, all I'm going to be reminded of is how he left me, when he said he'd be fine!"

"Ari..." Elena slowly took a step forward. "You know how I feel about Damon, okay? He's selfish, and sarcastic, and cruel, and controlling... but not to you! He loves you so much, and I want to see you happy again."

"I am happy." Ariana shrugged, avoiding eye contact as she continued to place clothes neatly into her drawers.

"Is this you being happy?" Caroline held up Ariana's diary. "I'm sorry, you left it open in your bag and I accidentally caught some of what it said. And this isn't you being happy! This is you trying to express your feelings into a bloody grief journal, but it won't help. Nothing will help... until you see him."

"Well, if that's the case, then I'll see him when I see him." Ariana replied. "I'm not going to go out of my way to go out looking for him. If he wants to see me, he can come to me."

---

After finding out that Elena had gotten a job at the local hospital, Ariana had decided that she also should get a part time job to earn a little extra cash. So, she slid on her jacket and was prepared to search the town, looking for possible employment.

As she was getting ready to leave, making sure she looked presentable enough, she heard a knock at the door. She instinctively headed toward the door to answer it and called out before she opened it.

"Who is it?"

"Hey, its me." Damon's voice was heard softly from the other side of the door. Ariana immediately pulled her hand away, stopping herself from opening the door. "I just wanted to talk..." Damon leant against the door from the outside as Ariana stared at it, clearly scared and torn as to what to do.

"You can't do this to me. Not now. You left!"

"It wasn't by choice, Ana. I never wanted to leave you." Damon replied quietly. "Look... I know why you don't want to see me. I get that it's hard, and that you feel betrayed, but you can't hide your feelings. It's not real. You know what's real? The way you felt for me. You once told me it was the most real thing you ever felt in your life."