5 - Monster's Ball

Book: Gilbert Twins
Chapter 5: Monster's Ball
Word Count: 4395

No one's POV

It was daytime. Ariana was writing in her diary at the college campus.

Dear Diary,

I have to apologise for all of the 'death' entries that I'm writing. Me writing about death all the time must get very tiring for you. But I can't help it, because lately, my life IS death. I'm surrounded by death... left, right, and centre. It's everywhere I look, someone ends up dead.

And, this time, it's Bonnie.

It's been four days. Four dreadful days since she died. Well, since I actually found out that she had been dead, but I don't even know how long her death was hidden from us.

Bonnie wanted Elena and I to return to school. So, here we are. Elena struggled most, Bonnie was her best friend... but, everything is better when you have someone by your side. I've been by Elena's side through it all.

Elena and I now study together, go to our classes together, and we're both trying to move on like everyone else seems to be able to.

All I know is that Elena and I will both get through Bonnie's tragic death together, just like we always have.

Stefan and Nathan seemed to mourn the least, which of course, isn't even a surprise. They don't remember who Bonnie is, so why would someone expect them to mourn over a girl who is now nothing more than a stranger to them?

No one has really seen Stefan or Nathan, except for Caroline, who is back in a relationship with Tyler. I'm not sure if it's because she really loves him, or C is just using Ty as a distraction to distract her from the real world. Because the real world sucks, and everyone knows it. Everyone needs a healthy distraction at least once in their lives...

Speaking about distractions, I've adopted my own one. With Elena, of course, who has been a huge help with my... 'distraction'.

What is this distraction, you ask? None other than Dr Wes Maxfield, of course. Mine, Elena's, and Caroline's roommate was killed, and it was obviously the work of a vampire. I'd recognise those bite marks on her neck anywhere, considering that I've left people with those neck bites numerous times myself.

Anyway, Dr Maxfield covered up my roommate's death as an animal attack, and I want to know why he would do that. What connection he had with my roommate to even bother trying to cover it up with a pathetic lie that has been used a thousand times too many.

Dr Maxfield is a great distraction, he gets my mind off of Bonnie. He helps me... miss her less. But I never cared about my feelings, it was always about Elena. And Dr Maxfield has become such a distraction, along with other things, that Elena has had less time to miss Bonnie.

She's actually been smiling more lately, looking happier. She's moving on from her best friend's death, even though it will still hurt forever of course, but I couldn't be more prouder of my twin.

- A.Gilbert

"Welcome back." None other than Dr Maxfield approached Ariana, kindly smiling. "See you at the costume ball tonight?"

"I wouldn't miss it." Ariana smiled fakely at him, but when Dr Maxfield strolled off again, her smile dropped and she watched him leave, sending curious and suspicious looks towards him.

Bringing her back to reality, Ariana's cell phone vibrated. She looked at the screen and it was Damon. She ignored the call.

"Busted!" Damon suddenly appeared behind her, making Ariana jump.