Ashes

Olivia sighed softly as she looked out of her apartment window to see if her boyfriend's car had finally parked behind her car, but he still wasn't there. He had called her a half hour ago saying that he was on his way home, but he had yet to arrive.

"Where is he?" A small voice huffed from behind Olivia. She turned on her heel and smiled softly when she saw her little boy standing in his footy pajamas.

"Christian? What are you doing out of bed?" Olivia asked softly, as she moved to her son and squatted down in front of him.

"Where's Daddy?" Christian whined as his mother wrapped her arms around his small waist.

"I don't know, love. But I'm sure that he will be home soon. Now, why don't you go lay down. I'll send Daddy in as soon as he gets home." Olivia smiled gently, before pulling her son close and pressing a few soft kisses to his forehead.

"Promise?" Christian questioned as he narrowed his eyes at his mother.

"I promise, honey. Now, go." Olivia ordered. She patted her son's bottom as he turned and stomped back to his room. As the door shut, Olivia's phone dinged on the windowsill. She quickly walked over to it, before seeing it was a traffic advisory. 

Due to a large building fire, please avoid Thirty-Fifth Street while they work to contain the fire.

Olivia felt as a lump grew in her throat and she started to shake. She quickly hit her boyfriend's name in her contacts before pacing the livingroom as she waited for him to answer.

"Hey, you have reached Nick Amaro's phone. Sorry that I didn't answer, but I'm busy. Leave a name and a number and I'll get back to you eventually." Nick's voice spoke. Olivia started to pack a quick bag for her son before going into his room.

"Daddy?" Christian asked as soon as the door opened.

"No, baby. It's still me, love. I need you to put on your slippers for me."

"Where are we going, Mama?" Christian yawned, as he climbed out of his bed before moving to his slippers.

"You are going to sit with Mrs. Abbott. I gotta go somewhere. Lucy will come pick you up in a few hours. Okay?"

"I guess." Christian grumbled, before reaching his arms up to his mother.

///

Olivia raced over to the precinct as soon as her neighbor agreed to watch Christian until his sitter showed up. She could already feel how heavy the air was, and she could smell smoke from outside her apartment building.

Traffic stopped about five blocks from the building fire, so Olivia managed to find a parking spot before running towards the fire.

"Ma'am, you can't go down there!" An officer that was on crowd control sighed, as he tried to grab Olivia.

"I'm Detective Olivia Benson. Is the sixteenth precinct on fire?" Olivia asked, as she pulled the collar of her jacket over her mouth and nose.

"Detective-"

"Is it on fire or not?!" Olivia demanded. The young officer nodded as he turned around and pointed at where the fire raged.

"It is. The fire fighters are still trying to evacuate the building." He spoke.

"Let me through." Olivia ordered, but all he did was shake his head.

"I'm not supposed-"

"That's my precinct! Those are my people! Now, let me through or else I'll kick your ass." Olivia growled. 

The officer quickly stepped to the side and let Olivia through. She went back to running, and her face felt incredibly hot as she grew closer to the blaze. She started to cough, but that didn't stop her from heading towards the stairs of the precinct. She went unseen by fire fighters, and went running into the burning building in search of her boyfriend.

///

Olivia wetted her t-shirt and tied it around her face before running towards the stairs. She knew that this was dangerous, but for some reason she couldn't stop herself. She had never loved someone the way she loves Nick. He was the only man that she had even considered wanting children with, so he was different. He was everything to her, and thinking about him dying in a fire without anyone there with him... it broke her.

Olivia got to the fourth floor and swung open the door to find that it hadn't been touched by the fire fighters yet. She quickly started to yell her boyfriend's name as she started to regret what she was doing.

"Nick!" Olivia cried, as she jumped away from a falling piece of the roof tiles.

"Olivia?!" Nick's voice cried back. Olivia started to play Marco Polo with her boyfriend until she found him in the back interrogation room, his leg pinned under one of the filing cabinets.

"Oh my god! Baby!" Olivia cried, as she quickly took the wet shirt away from her mouth and wrapped it around Nick's.

"Stop! What are you doing here? Liv-"

"You didn't pick up your phone! I couldn't get ahold of anyone! But we aren't discussing this right now! I'm getting you out of here!" Olivia yelled over the deafening noise of the flames.

"We aren't leaving our kid to be an orphan! Just go!" Nick yelled, before going to untie the shirt, but Olivia stopped him. She quickly started to push the cabinet off his leg, and he screamed.

Olivia looked at his leg and frowned when she saw a bit of bone poking out of his ripped pants.

"Okay, you gotta walk. I'm not strong enough to carry you from this building." Olivia breathed before starting to cough loudly. 

"Liv-"

"No, Nick. Christian is going to have two alive parents. Now, get up and help me."

It was slow work, but eventually they made it to the stairs as some fire fighters quickly ran up them. 

"What the hell are you two doing up here?!" One yelled, as he eyed the two detectives.

"He was pinned in the back interrogation room! You never would have found him! Now, help me!"

///

They made their way outside and into the easier to breathe air of this still Manhattan night. An EMT rushed to Olivia and Nick, before helping Nick towards an ambulance.

Olivia turned around slowly and looked up at the precinct that had been her home for so long. This is the place where she met her boyfriend. This was the place where she finally gained a family after years of being alone. But now it was up in flames, and Olivia couldn't believe that it would all come crashing down soon.

She kept her eyes glued to the building for several long moments before someone yelled her name. She turned around and saw as Captain Cragen pushed through everyone to try and get to her. And he reached her side just in time to catch her as she collapsed.