Detective to Mother

Olivia walked out of the bar and smiled at her date.

"I had a lot of fun, Liv. We should plan to do this again soon." He smiled, and Olivia nodded as she was pulled closer to him.

"I'd love to, Trev. Just call me with a time." Olivia smiled. She leaned up and kissed him for a few long moments before her phone rang.

"Are you on call?" Trevor asked, but before Olivia could respond, two ambulances went racing past with their sirens blaring.

"Uh, no. I'm not. But it must be something important." She breathed. Olivia pulled her cell out before answering it.

She couldn't hear a thing but sirens and screams in the call's background.

"Cragen!" Olivia called into the phone as she quickly moved towards her car.

"Benson, I need you to meet me at the hospital! Uh, St. Michael's!" Cragen exclaimed into the phone, before hanging up.

Olivia froze and looked at her phone for a moment as Trevor came up beside her.

"Olivia, is something wrong?"

"I think there was an accident..."

///

Olivia stood outside of the trauma room and looked at two bodies covered in sheets. She felt numb as she looked them over. 

"The kids are awake." Cragen spoke, as he came up beside his detective and draped his jacket over her shoulders.

"How are they doing?" Olivia whispered as she wiped a tear from her cheek.

"They aren't great, Liv. But I don't blame them... they are asking for you."

"What do I tell them? Their parents just died." Olivia whispered.

"I don't know, Benson. But you will figure it out."

"Did you get in contact with Bernie or Kathy's mom? They should be the first ones to see the kids." Olivia sniffled as she turned and finally looked at her boss.

"I called them, but the kids want you. You need to go see them now. I'll walk with you."

///

Olivia sat on Maureen's hospital bed and comforted all the kids. Tonight had been the worst night of their lives, and Olivia didn't know what to say to them. So she held them and caressed their hair. She told them that she loved them, but there wasn't much more she could do. They were grieving the loss of their parents and that is a huge thing. It's incredibly painful, and Olivia knows first hand.

"Did you see them?" Maureen whispered as she snuggled in closer to Olivia's side.

"What?" Olivia whispered.

"My parents. Did you see them?"

"No, honey. I didn't get to look at them... but you can see them at the funeral."

"How do I plan a funeral? Aunt Liv-"

"No, baby. Don't you dare worry about planning a funeral. Your grandmothers can figure that out... or I will. But you don't need to worry about planning a funeral, especially since you are only thirteen. Us adults will take care of it." Olivia breathed. She held Maureen closer as both of them cried.

The kids lost their parents, and Olivia lost her best friends. All she could think about was how boring life would be now that Kathy and Elliot were no longer with them. How lonely she'd be when Trevor eventually decided that he didn't want to date her any longer.

"I miss them so much." Maureen whimpered as she looked up at her aunt. Her blue eyes were bloodshot and full of tears.

"Me too, Mo. You will never be alone on that."

///

Bernie and Kathy's mother came up to the hospital. They identified the damaged bodies of their children before sitting with the kids and explaining what was going to happen. How life was going to be different, but they would all stay together, no questions asked.

Olivia ended up back at work two days after Elliot and Kathy passed, because she knew she had to throw herself back into work. Tons of people came and gave her their condolences, while also giving her flowers and meals to give to the kids.

"Olivia?" Trevor's voice sounded behind Olivia. She was standing by her desk and zoning out on Elliot's desk. It remained untouched, as if Elliot was only gone for the weekend.

"Yes?" Olivia whispered as she turned to look at Trevor.

"Are you ready?"

"For what?" Olivia breathed, forgetting about what today was.

"The funeral. That is why you are wearing a dress." Trevor replied as he moved towards her. Olivia swallowed hard and looked down at her dress.

"I have the will reading afterwards... for some reason I'm supposed to be there." Olivia whispered.

"He probably left you something. You and Elliot were best friends." Trevor replied as he went over and grabbed Olivia's jacket before helping her put it on.

"Kathy, Elliot, and I were very close. I was there when every single one of the younger four kids were born. I probably cried more than Elliot did." Olivia breathed, as she grabbed her boyfriend's hand and moved towards the elevator.

"I'm so sorry, babe. I wish that this never happened."

"Shit happens, and it always sucks."

///

After the funeral, Olivia drove over to Kathy and Elliot's house. Bernie was staying there with the kids to make sure they could go to their same school and could sleep in their own rooms.

"I'm glad you are here." Bernie breathed as she held Olivia in a tight hug.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else, Bernie. Kath and El wanted me here, so I'm here. For them and for the kids."

Olivia went into the living room and found the kids. They all ran to her when they saw her, and they insisted on sitting as close to her as possible when she sat down. No words were exchanged, but the love was very clear between them. Olivia was an aunt to these kids, even if they didn't share any blood at all.

"We are going to read the will. Everyone, please take a seat." Elliot and Kathy's lawyer spoke, as he stood in front of the TV. Elliot's siblings came in and sat around while Olivia stayed put with the kids.

Olivia didn't pay attention too much of the will. She just stared down at the blonde toddler that had fallen asleep on her lap.

"Olivia Benson?" The lawyer asked, and Olivia quickly lifted her eyes and looked at the lawyer.

"Yes?" She breathed.

"Did you hear what I said?" He questioned, and Olivia shook her head.

"No, sir. I'm sorry. Can you repeat it?"

"Kathy and Elliot gave you the most important things to them." He spoke, and Olivia's eyes went wide as she looked over at Bernie and saw confusion covering her face.

"What?"

"The most important things to them were the kids. They are yours."