When He was Still Hers

For six years they were in love. It was the sort of undeniable love that everyone could see. The kissing, the hugging, the holding hands. They were best friends and what they thought was a perfect pairing, but instead it ended when he fell in love with someone else. He broke up their relationship, just because someone new caught his eye. Someone who he couldn't take his eyes off of.

"What are you doing down here?" Elliot asked, when he finally found his partner on the steps of the precinct.

"I'm just having a rough night." Olivia sniffled as she hastily brushed tears from her cheeks.

"Liv, what's happening? You know that you can tell me anything." Elliot frowned as he sank down beside her before rubbing her back gently.

"Brian has a girlfriend." Olivia whispered,.

"Excuse me? Did I hear you-"

"You heard me right, El. He has a girlfriend. He said that they are in love, and that he wants to move her in with us. He wants to still be around the kids, but he doesn't want to be with me anymore. He just wants her and the kids." Olivia sniffled.

"I am going to kick his ass." Elliot huffed as he went to stand, but instead Olivia grabbed his arm and tugged him back down.

"You aren't going to kick his ass. He is still the father of my children, and I won't be having their uncle beating the crap out of him."

"But he's cheating on you! Olivia, he's cheating on you and wants to bring that slut into your home?! That's just wrong!" Elliot exclaimed, as he stood without Olivia stopping him. He ran his fingers through his hair as his anger bubbled up inside.

"I know that what is happening is wrong, but I can't do much about it. I just have to accept what is happening and make a new plan for my life." Olivia sighed. She looked down at her wedding band, before hesitantly slipping it off. She shoved it into the pocket of her jacket before standing and looking at Elliot.

"Do you want to stay with me tonight? Kathy and the kids are spending the weekend with her parents, so the house is empty." Elliot frowned.

"I'm okay, El. I want to see the kids. But thanks for the offer."

///

Olivia hesitantly went home, but she only went there to see her kids. Unfortunately, they were both asleep, so Olivia had to face her husband without two very sweet distractions.

"Hey, how was work?" Brian asked as soon as his wife walked through the front door.

"It was okay." Olivia replied quietly.

"Are you going to be home tomorrow?"

"Yeah, tomorrow is my day off. So I'll be home with the kids all day, and you know that. But why are you asking?" Olivia sighed.

"Because Susan and I have plans and I didn't know if I should call the sitter or not." Brian smiled.

"I'll be home, so you don't have to worry about them." Olivia grumbled. She kicked her boots off before sitting them by the door.

"Liv, why are you so angry? I watch the kids every day, and when you are home, it gives me some time to hang out with Susan." Brian frowned. Olivia closed her eyes tightly and balled her hands into fists.

She was angry that Brian didn't seem to realize why she was angry. How they were still married, but he was cheating on her. How he wanted to move his girlfriend into their house, so they could all live together. Olivia didn't want that. She didn't want her kids to grow up in such a dysfunctional household. She'd rather have them moved between houses, instead of living with their mother, father, and their father's girlfriend.

"I'm angry because you have a girlfriend." Olivia huffed.

"Olivia, I don't know why that is such a big deal. Susan is amazing, and she just loves the kids."

"Okay, Brian, you are a fucking idiot. You cheated on me. We were married for six years, let alone the four years of dating before. We have two kids, and I don't know if you got pissed off at me because I lost our baby... or because you just never really loved me to start. But whatever it is, I think that you are the problem. That maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for you to move your girlfriend in with us."

"Well, I think it's an amazing idea! Then at least the kids will have a mother!" Brian yelled. Olivia shook her head before swallowing hard.

"I am and will always be their only mother. Now, I think it's time you leave. Find a job, especially since I'm the only one supporting this family and I refuse to support you and Susan... also, I'm getting a fucking divorce."

///

It was a few months later when the divorce was final. Olivia was sitting in the park with her son and daughter, when she got a call from her lawyer that told her she was no longer a married woman. She and Brian were going their separate ways, and he couldn't see the kids until he secured a job and a house to make sure they had a place to stay. She was glad that she got more custody of the kids than Brian did, but she was still so angry.

So very angry that another woman stole the heart of the man she loved so deeply.

"Hey, I got your call. What's happening?" Elliot asked, as he quickly came over to where Olivia sat.

"It's official."

"What is?" Elliot asked.

"My divorce. I got my name changed back, so now I'm Benson once more. Brian can't see the kids until after he can get a job and a house or apartment."

"Really? Do you have to pay him spousal support or child support? Because he doesn't work and clearly doesn't want to work?" Elliot asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No, I don't, actually." Olivia whispered. Elliot reached over and grabbed her hand before squeezing it.

"I'm sorry, Liv. I know that you love him and that this is incredibly hard for you. Especially since you don't only think about yourself, but also about Tessa and Johnny." Elliot breathed, and Olivia nodded slowly as tears welled in her eyes.

"I honestly don't think that Brian will be back to see the kids. He's too obsessed with Susan, that our kids don't mean as much to him. I really thought that the kids would be the reason we stayed together, but clearly they mean more to me than they mean to him."