A Case Reopened: Part 2

After talking with Mr. Houston, Olivia went back to Lou and her's apartment. She didn't even bother to change her clothes before she pulled out the box of letters and tips that the NYPD had given to the Houstons when they decided that Olivia Houston would never be found. Olivia flipped through some very nasty letters that said things in regards to the skin color of Serena and Dwayne, and how the baby was taken because they were sinners. Many were of prayers for the safe return of the baby. 

Olivia had dug herself into a deep hole and didn't even know what time it was or how she messed lunch until Lou came home.

"Babe?" Lou questioned, as she walked into the kitchen and found her girlfriend sitting at their table. Spread in front of her were piles of letters in colorful envelopes and with a binder full of other pieces of paper.

"Livvie love..." Lou trailed off, as she sat her purse on the counter before walking over to Olivia and started to kiss her neck. Olivia froze and she let the letter fall from her hands and she closed her eyes.

"How late is it?" Olivia questioned, as Lou continued to kiss her. Lou finally removed her lips from her girlfriend's neck before speaking.

"It's 6. The usual time I get home at night. What are you doing?"

"This is what Mr. Houston gave me. This is what they had gathered over the 27 years since the baby was taken. There is so much here, Lou. Like people saying Serena and Dwayne are sinners because Serena is white and Dwayne is black... it's disgusting because people say that is why their child was taken from their home." Olivia frowned. Lou kissed the top of Olivia's head before hugging her shoulders.

"That's what people said when we lost our baby. But it wasn't our fault, and it wasn't their fault either. Now, put this away so I can kiss away that frown on your face and that sadness in your eyes." Lou spoke, and Olivia sighed.

"God, I love you." Olivia moaned, as Lou helped Olivia to her feet and started to pull her to their bedroom.

///

Olivia only lasted in bed for about four hours before she climbed out of bed and started to go through everything again. Once her girlfriend had left and Olivia had forced herself to eat food instead of just drinking coffee for breakfast, she went back to the Houston house. She rang the doorbell and waited there for several moments again, but instead of a girl opening the door, Serena Houston did.

"Yeah?" She asked, nervously.

"Mrs. Houston... I'm Olivia Meyers. I'm working on the kidnapping case... your kidnapping case." Olivia spoke, and Serena nodded slowly.

"Okay... my husband told me about this and my daughter, Lena, said she met you. Is there something else you need? Because I'm kinda busy right now." Serena replied.

"Actually, I was wondering if you read this letter? Because I feel like it is connected to your daughter's kidnapping. It gave me this really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and when I get a gut feeling it is never wrong." Olivia spoke, and Serena nodded slowly.

"I haven't read any of the letters for a while, but I guess you can show it to me and I can see."

///

Serena held the letter in her hands as tears welled in her eyes.

"Where was this sent from?" Serena asked, and Olivia flipped over the envelope that she was holding for the moment.

"Uh, Albany. God, that city..." Olivia sighed.

"That city? What do you mean?" Serena asked.

"Oh, I lived there. My Mom and Dad are from here, but they lived there because my father was a part of the state government..." Olivia trailed off.

"I want my daughter back. So please, please just find her."

"That's why I'm here. I didn't tell your husband exactly why I was so willing to help, but it's because I was adopted by my parents. My biological parents were like druggies or something, but I've always wanted to know who they are and I wanted to know where they were. I won't ever be able to do that, but I might as well try and help you figure out where your daughter is and who she is." Olivia smiled gently.

Serena started to cry, and Olivia stood slowly and walked over to her. She sank down beside the broken woman and rubbed her back gently.

"Do you have kids?" Serena asked as she calmed down.

"I don't..." Olivia breathed. She felt tears well in her eyes because she does have a child. A baby that she didn't even get to meet... but it's her child.

"Actually, I do," Olivia whispered.

"You do? Do you love your child?" Serena asked, and Olivia nodded tearfully.

"I love it so much..."

"It?"

"I miscarried my baby. People said that it was bound to happen because I'm gay. My girlfriend and I finally wanted kids, but then I lost it. And yeah, I love my child no matter what. My baby is in heaven. Yours is out there in this world and I'll find her."

///

Olivia hadn't recognized the address on the envelope. She just drove to where it was before stopping outside of the house her parents still live in. Olivia climbed out of her car slowly and stared at the house with tear filled eyes. She pulled out the envelope and stared at it before slowly walking towards the door. She opened it before calling into it.

"Mom? Dad?" She asked.

"Liv? What are you doing here?" Stella Meyers asked.

"Mom, I think we need to talk. Right now." Olivia demanded.

"Okay? Are you alright? Did you and Lou-"

"Lou and I didn't break up, Mom. So give up on that. I'm here to talk to you about this." Olivia replied. She shoved the envelope into her mother's hands, and Stella's eyes went wide.

"Where did you get this from..." She trailed off.

"From the couple, you sent it too after their daughter was kidnapped! Mom, why would you do that? Why would you say those nasty things?" Olivia breathed.

"Liv-"

"Don't try and play this off. This is me asking as a detective, not your daughter."

"You weren't adopted, Olivia. We took you from the Houstons because you didn't deserve to be with them and how they were living in sin. Just like you and Lou are." Stella replied. Olivia's eyes went wide with confusion.

"What?"

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D