Fingers Crossed

Inspired by the song, Fingers Crossed by Lauren Spencer-Smith!

Olivia could not stop smiling as she drove home from work. Tonight was her first anniversary with her boyfriend, and they had plans to go out to dinner and maybe even go somewhere to dance. She had been waiting for this night for weeks, and she had a hard time hiding her excitement all day.

"Hello?" Brian yawned when he answered Olivia's call.

"Hey, babe! Did I wake you?" Olivia questioned.

"Liv? Why are you calling me?" Brian questioned rapidly. Olivia glanced at her phone, and she felt a pit in her stomach. Something about this call didn't seem right to her, and it freaked her out. 

"Um, because I'm almost home and I wanted to tell you that... is everything okay?" Olivia asked weakly.

"Don't come home. I'll meet you at the restaurant." Brian replied.

"I have to change and-"

"I said don't come home! God, Olivia! I'll meet you at the fucking restaurant!" Brian snapped.

Olivia swallowed as she reached out and quickly ended the call. She tried to convince herself to turn back around, but Olivia couldn't resist. She had to go home and figure out why her boyfriend was acting so weird.

///

"Do you have everything?" Brian asked breathlessly as he escorted his fling out of the apartment building.

"I'm missing my bra, but you can just give it back to me tomorrow." The blonde replied before she leaned in and kissed Brian. When she turned around, she froze when she saw Olivia.

"There won't be a tomorrow." Olivia spoke, as hot tears slipped down her cheeks. The blonde swallowed hard and ran past Olivia as Brian looked at his girlfriend.

"Liv, I told you not to come home." Brian huffed.

"You don't get to be angry at me, Brian!" Olivia cried as her body shook. For the first time, Olivia had truly fallen in love. Brian was the man Olivia had dreamed about her entire life, but now she was realizing it was all fake. He wasn't the perfect man for her, and he'd never father her children as she had wanted. As he claimed he wanted.

"You disobeyed-"

"I am not your fucking child, Brian! I am a grown woman who isn't required to follow your damn rules and directions! How long have you been with her?" Olivia demanded as she walked over to the stairs.

"Olivia-"

"Tell me, Bri. If you truly loved me at some point, you'd tell me how long you have been cheating on me." Olivia breathed, as she lost her edge. 

"Eight months." Brian spoke, as he braced himself for Olivia's anger to bubble up again.

"Eight months... so were you fucking her when I was at the hospital with my dying mother?" Olivia whispered.

"Don't make me sound like a bad guy, Olivia. You shut yourself off from me when your mother was in the hospital. I'm sorry that I got bored and moved on." Brian sighed with a roll of his eyes.

"I shut myself off because my mother's heart was failing! What about when you got 'called in' at my mother's funeral?"

"I hate funerals! Of course, I was fucking my girl while you were a blubbering mess." Brian laughed bitterly. Olivia swallowed hard as she looked at her boyfriend.

"It would be wise for you to leave right now."

"Excuse-"

"You know, nevermind. I'll go. You can keep fucking your little friend in my bed." Olivia spat, before she pushed past Brian and went into the building.

///

Olivia didn't really have anywhere to go, so she ended up at Elliot's house. It took him a while to realize she was there, since she didn't even bother to knock on the door. Olivia sat on the front steps and cried quietly as she thought about how dumb she had been.

"Liv? What are you doing here?" Elliot asked as he opened the door and looked at Olivia.

"Can you come sit with me?" Olivia asked weakly, as tears continued to slip down her cheeks.

"Yeah, of course. But I'm confused."

"Yeah, I am too." Olivia whispered. Elliot settled down beside Olivia before reaching out and gently touching her arm.

"What's happening, honey?"

"Today was my one-year anniversary with Brian."

"Hey, I forgot. How'd it go?" Elliot smiled.

"Elliot, I went home after a strange call with Brian... I found him kissing a girl on our front stoop. He has been screwing that tramp for eight months... I guess he was fucking her when I was at the hospital with my mother, and even when I was at her funeral."

"Liv-"

"He made big promises, Elliot. He promised to never cheat on me, and to always love me. Brian and I were so happy for the first few months that we were dropping 'I love you' many times a day. He introduced me to his parents! God, I thought he was the one. Then he does this to me!" Olivia cried. She turned to look at Elliot before closing her eyes tightly. She hated the look of pity in his eyes.

"I am so sorry." 

"This isn't your fault, El. You didn't use me..." Olivia trailed off.

She sat there for a while, before standing when it started to sprinkle.

"We should go-"

"I moved out tonight, and I have nowhere to go. Can I sleep on your couch?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah, come in. My couch can be your home." Elliot said with a weak laugh. Humor wasn't working tonight at all.

///

Olivia laid on the couch and cried on and off all night. When Elliot got up the next morning, he found Olivia was awake and staring numbly at the TV that wasn't even off.

"Liv-"

"You know when you promise someone that if you have your fingers crossed it kinda voids it?"

"Liv-"

"That bastard must have had his fingers crossed for our entire relationship. For every single time he said that he loved me, that he couldn't wait to marry me and to start a family, or when he took me to meet his parents because they'd love me... he had his fingers crossed." Olivia mumbled.